Good sites to buy cheap bulk sea salt

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
i need to buy quite a bit of sea salt for my terrapins new pond that I’m redoing. Everything near me seems to be sooo expensive for what you get and i figured online would be better. What are some sites or companies you guys have had a good experience with? Thanks

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Marine Depot is good from what I hear. Beyond that I can't help. Any saltwater aquarium enthusiasts here with large tanks :D?
What kind of terrapin do you have?

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A common problem. You either have a resale license and buy in bulk from a chemical supplier or you get victimized by someone who has a resale license, buys in bulk and repackages it. I checked the chemical supplier near here yesterday. Smallest lot of food grade 99.5% pure sea salt is a 55 gallon plastic barrel containing 550 lbs of salt. Single unit cost, ~$85 plus a refundable $100 deposit on the barrel. 10% discount on lots of 5 or more. Lower purity grades are much cheaper.
Best bet is shop around. Some retailers cut a lot of slack while others may stiff you with a 1000% price markup. The value of the actual product is negligible. Most of the cost is in shipping and handling. If you get lucky you might get a lead on a bulk buyer who is willing to kick you a few pounds on the cheap or even for free if you present a no hassle way of picking some up.

Last edited: