Good second tarantula?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just take your time and research about the ones that catch your eye that way you end up with one you picked out for yourself rather than a popular favorite etc.

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
My second t was an A chalcodes, and my first was T albo. Get something you think you are capable of caring. I didn't think I was ready for an A geniculata, P irminia and more, but if you are ready and know your stuff, get one. I know I'm not the most experienced keeper on this forum, but yea.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
After by G.pulchra what else should i get?
Before I ever purchased my first tarantula I spent 1.5 years researching. I never asked what should I get as a first, second or third.

Within the first month I had a good idea what was the best fit for me to start with having zero experience.

Two months later I purchased two slings on what I really wanted within reason being inexperienced. The mistake was not on the genus/species but on the size. I couldn't see the Pseudhapalopus sp. blue in the deli cup and didn't ask the size.

When I got home and opened the lid what I saw was whatever growth stage comes after eggs with legs, instar 2?, I'm not sure. I freaked out because it was literally a speck.....yes a speck with tiny tiny legs. So I re-studied up on sling care for that size. That was Feb. 2020 now it's a healthy 2 inch dls T.

Not trying to be insulting. The whole point I'm making here is in-depth research is required. Even though I spent all that time researching before getting my first one I still made mistakes from inexperience.

We all make mistakes, my goal for myself was trying to understand before making more mistakes. I still made them some subtle some not so much.

There's members here that are walking encyclopedias on tarantulas because they been at this for decades. I try to learn as much as I can.

All I can tell you is select wisely. No one can tell you what you want. When you are realistic with yourself on what you can actually take care of then research on what is a good second T.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you just got your first just wait and get comfortable and give it some time before getting a new one. There is no rush to buy them up like skittles in the beginning!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Aphonopelma, Brachypelma or Tlitocatl of course...
Not as modern as OWs etc... but not for nothing the classics in the terrarium. I've had just about every kind over the years, but none bring me as much joy as the classics...

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Well what interests you? Probably the first step. Start looking into what's available and affordable, and then narrow it down to what interests you and is within your ability to keep.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I was thinking H maculata, S. calceatum or C lividus, but, fair choice hahaha
OBT was my 3rd spider. I got it 3 months into keeping. She’s a mature female now. H Mac and S cal are way more high strung. Cobalts are burrowed most of the time and won’t bother you if you set them up right.

I know not everyone is me or ready to take that leap. But with no context for what Op wants, they’re a cool spider that’s easy to keep

lindale450

Arachnopeon
After by G.pulchra what else should i get?
How long have you had your spider?
did you purchase as a sling or a sub adult?
are you looking for something faster or something similar?
if you’re looking at moving into faster Species
Ephebopus cyanognathus
Hapalopus sp. Colombia
Cyriocosmus genus
Neoholothele incei
These are fun species that are a little quicker

OBT was my 3rd spider. I got it 3 months into keeping. She’s a mature female now. H Mac and S cal are way more high strung. Cobalts are burrowed most of the time and won’t bother you if you set them up right.

I know not everyone is me or ready to take that leap. But with no context for what Op wants, they’re a cool spider that’s easy to keep
I think a lot of us skipped rungs when climbing the ladder lol

Kegaran

Arachnopeon
I'll plug the GBB/Chromatopelma here. I loved mine, the webbing they do is really, really fun to watch...I miss my GBB...Maybe I need to see what the local breeders have in stock.