Good price for Grammostola actaeon?

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My local exotic pet store has 2 "Brazilian red rump" tarantulas. They look like G. actaeon to me and the larger is about 5" and is selling for $50.

1. Do you think these are adult at 5", I hear these get pretty large. The abdomens were pretty red, but the rest of them was completely black. I know the red is supposed to fade as they age but I was hoping that they were adult and hence easily sexable (they did not have hooks).

2. I don't see these for sale often on the boards (one 2.5" was selling for $65 from Xenesthis), does $50 sound like a good deal?

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me $50 for a 5" possible female sounds great. From what I've read about them 5" may be as big as they get... I could be wrong. Also, from what I've seen pics wise the red def isn't as vibrant as an adult as when they're younger. If the red you saw was bright, still, I might be worried it was a mislabeled B vagans.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can know if it's a Grammostola by looking for the mirror-patch on the abdomen. It's very easily noticeable from even a 1.5" specimen.
If you can narrow it down to being a Grammostola species, then heck, i think it's a good deal. It's tough to narrow the species down to acteon though...there are a few others in this genus that look very similar.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At 5" the abdomen would be darker, almost black with a reddish tint. Remember, there's a few "red rumps" out there and don't trust the label slapped on by the LPS. I doubt it's a G acteon, more likely a B vagans, but who knows, maybe you found a great find.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
good deal

probably a vagans,but at $50 thats a good deal even for a vagans.
andy

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not if its a WC vagans tho =/ some of em I have seen are pretty beat up =/

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's definitely not a B. Vagans as the carapace (cephalothorax) is pure black, no light border. It's also illegal to sell B. Vagans in Florida. I will look for the "mirror" on the abdomen next visit.
The store keeper did not know the genus or species. It is a pretty large spider for $50 so I'm guessing it's wild caught. I'm not sure if I want to support wild catching for direct retail sales. Thanks for the input everyone, I'll post pictures if I decide to purchase it.
Keith

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could also be a Sericopelma rubronitens, there seem to be alot of these on the market right now. I have a big female myself, she is a good looking spider but is skitish an will flick hairs at a moments notice.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now that I'm looking at some pics and prices of Sericopelma rubronitens, I'm betting that's what it is. So $50 for a 5" specimen is pretty good but not a "must buy". Thanks for the input.