Good Plastic Enclosures for Adult Terrestrials?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone! I’m looking for some recommendations of any sterilite, Rubbermaid, or other types of plastic storage bins that I could use to make custom enclosures. I much prefer this to spending tons of money on glass terrariums. I ordered some sterilite bins from Amazon a few months ago that are 17 x 11.18 x 12.75 inches (which is around the size I’m looking for), but they are far flimsier and less air tight than I’d hoped. They’re not exactly something I’d use for some of my escape artist baboons as they get larger. If you use plastic bins to house your adult Ts, any recommendations for specific products would be greatly appreciated!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ll tell you something better to use- Really Useful Boxes. RUBs not only lock shut without any significant vibration, they are stackable.

They come in all sizes - I love them!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Hey everyone! I’m looking for some recommendations of any sterilite, Rubbermaid, or other types of plastic storage bins that I could use to make custom enclosures. I much prefer this to spending tons of money on glass terrariums. I ordered some sterilite bins from Amazon a few months ago that are 17 x 11.18 x 12.75 inches (which is around the size I’m looking for), but they are far flimsier and less air tight than I’d hoped. They’re not exactly something I’d use for some of my escape artist baboons as they get larger. If you use plastic bins to house your adult Ts, any recommendations for specific products would be greatly appreciated!
Sterilite quality and customer service is not what it used to be. You can do far better for far cheaper.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I second this they are a great size and they are clear and like $12
I would imagine the spider could push the lid off of these, but I've heard about putting a pin in to prevent that. Any experience with that?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I use the Sterilite gasket totes. Right now I'm using the 20 qt ones (model 1932), but I plan on using the 32 qt and/or the 54 qt in the future. I've been able to drill 2" holes for vent inserts with no significant cracks, they seal nice and tight, and are relatively clear.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
@Sterls and @Smotzer u guise there is an almost identical box to the Container Store's high heel shoe box at Daiso, if there's a location near you. It's crystal clear and like six dollars. The quality is nearly identical, the lids are actually interchangeable with the Container Store ones. They just don't have the vent holes on the side, which I actually like, because I don't have to try to match the size and spacing of them.

For the larger specimens, I also use the Container Store's crystal clear men's shoe box, but most of mine are juvenile or small species and do awesome in the high heel box.

To be clear, I fix the lid down with tape at the moment, because my Pamphobeteus boy powerlifted the lid clear off and got out, so that's something to bear in mind, but they DIY nicely otherwise and they look great.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Reviving this as I've been researching different shoe box enclosures.
Unfortunately I do not have a Container Store or a Dasio anywhere near me. So I guess I'm stuck ordering online.

I've been looking for enclosures for juvi T's. Something nice and clear and with room to grow but not necessarily a permanent adult enclosure.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the mDesign shoeboxes? They seem to be clear, stackable, come in different sizes, come with our without ventilation hole, and some have a hinged lid.
Prices are more than Dasio for sure but the mDesign website has free shipping on all orders.

Any thoughts. Obviously I have to secure the other end of the lid, I was thinking an acrylic hasp and lock thing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Unfortunately I do not have a Container Store or a Dasio anywhere near me. So I guess I'm stuck ordering online.

I've been looking for enclosures for juvi T's. Something nice and clear and with room to grow but not necessarily a permanent adult enclosure.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the mDesign shoeboxes? They seem to be clear, stackable, come in different sizes, come with our without ventilation hole, and some have a hinged lid.
Prices are more than Dasio for sure but the mDesign website has free shipping on all orders.

Any thoughts. Obviously I have to secure the other end of the lid, I was thinking an acrylic hasp and lock thing.
I have my juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens in an mDesigns box (not for shoes) that opens up length wise something Luke 5x7x6. I like it but the one I have the lid is in no way secure because it rests on top and doesn’t slide down around. I used magnets glued to the inside and lid to secure. I like the size I used as it was for coming out of a sling stage.

I like that those are stackable, that’s a plus if you have a growing collection and space matters.

I got a 8x8x8 top opening glass enclosure for $25 that I’m going to use next but I’d probably try what you have mentioned once! The bigger struggle is large juvenile clear and nice looking arboreal containers on a budget!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I have my juvenile Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens in an mDesigns box (not for shoes) that opens up length wise something Luke 5x7x6. I like it but the one I have the lid is in no way secure because it rests on top and doesn’t slide down around. I used magnets glued to the inside and lid to secure. I like the size I used as it was for coming out of a sling stage.

I like that those are stackable, that’s a plus if you have a growing collection and space matters.

I got a 8x8x8 top opening glass enclosure for $25 that I’m going to use next but I’d probably try what you have mentioned once! The bigger struggle is large juvenile clear and nice looking arboreal containers on a budget!
Space is always at a premium so stacking is probably a necessity for me. I was thinking about getting some adhesive rubber feet to put on the top enclosures so there is at least a little ventilation for the bottom enclosure.
The thing I like is the base measurements of the boxes I'm looking at are the same. They come in 5", 7", 9" heights. So 9" boxes for my baboons, 7" boxes for those that like to dig, 5" boxes for those that don't care to play in the dirt.
So for a 4 pack of 12.75x7.25x7 they are $15 each. I think very reasonable for a clear, hinged enclosure.
As far as an arboreal enclosure goes I just did this. Yes, vented on the top as well.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The thing I like is the base measurements of the boxes I'm looking at are the same. They come in 5", 7", 9" heights. So 9" boxes for my baboons, 7" boxes for those that like to dig, 5" boxes for those that don't care to play in the dirt.
So for a 4 pack of 12.75x7.25x7 they are $15 each. I think very reasonable for a clear, hinged enclosure.
Well that is great the height being easily adjustable! And also still being able to be stackable! And the combo the price to each is reasonable!

Now I’m thinking the 9in tall sitting how it is one would also work well for juvenile arboreals, way more length than you need but just 1 side could be set up arboreally , I may have to pick one up for that reason.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Well that is great the height being easily adjustable! And also still being able to be stackable! And the combo the price to each is reasonable!

Now I’m thinking the 9in tall sitting how it is one would also work well for juvenile arboreals, way more length than you need but just 1 side could be set up arboreally , I may have to pick one up for that reason.
Since it's a hinged lid you could cut it and glue it in place as a substrate dam which would let you turn it on it's side and now you have a 12.75" tall arboreal enclosure.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince

I have one and while most of the issues with the lid are easily fixable, the thing that kills me is that the hinges are SO STIFF and creak SUPER LOUD every time I open and close it. Dunno if mine is just flawed but it's super annoying. I only use it for crickets now.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Since it's a hinged lid you could cut it and glue it in place as a substrate dam which would let you turn it on it's side and now you have a 12.75" tall arboreal enclosure.
Ohhhh that is right you could do that!!!

I wonder what is the percentage of people keeping shoes in see thru boxes opposed to what people buy these for, still think that looks funnier than using them for spiders lol. Clearly my spider bias hahaha

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron

I keep the tall versions of those for my fossorials.

The plastic is thick and almost indestructible. They would make a great enclosure.

Locking the lid will be an ugly affair tho.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
These come in various sizes and can be used for everything from 2 inch juveniles to adults. I like the tall shoeboxes for fossorials that don't get too big. The boxes are clear, have locking lids, are stackable, are easy to drill, and are fairly cheap. If you're going to use a storage box, I think these are the best for getting visibility, security, and appropriate dimensions for a wide variety of spiders.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/cl...ur-clear-storage-boxes/12d?productId=11004743