Good neighbors/bad pests: Need reference

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if someone could do some sort of chart for the commonly found things living with pedes with pictures either snapped or drawn, and if they are ok for the pede or not. I keep finding lil things and i dont know if I should replace the substrate or not. :(

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you describe these "things", The first thing that comes to mind is springtails, tiny white inverts that will be loving the damp soil and the mess fro the prey items the pede leaves behind

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In captivity. Like an id chart or something. It would help me out a lot and i am sure it would help others out. Springtails, good mites, bad mites, etc. Pics and short descriptions of them as beneficial, neutral, or harmful. I would be happy to do it but i dont know much about them. :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, I laugh every time I see your avatar. You know that kind of sounds like a good idea to me. I mean the topic about the Springtails and mites keep coming up over and over and over again. Other topics do too but this one really gets hammered. I think pics would esp help allot too.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree! Even though I keep millipedes and not centis, they have some of the same 'mystery' thingies keeping them company. I had a panick attack when I found and isopod didn't know it could be a good thing to have.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The millipede book contains a list of substrate pests including details and treatment options.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I may have to get that book.

I have had occasional springtails and the common little white grain mites and normal AGB mites. Now I have what looks to be springtails with wings. Springtails don't have wings, so perhaps they are termites? I froze this wood for a month before putting it in. :(

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...I froze this wood for a month before putting it in. :(
freeze wont doit, wash and stick in nuker 30 sec, let cool and nuke again, I happened to tryed it, looks pretty much bug free

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
freeze wont doit, wash and stick in nuker 30 sec, let cool and nuke again, I happened to tryed it, looks pretty much bug free
I have done that before too. The smell lingers for days. :eek:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I may have to get that book.

I have had occasional springtails and the common little white grain mites and normal AGB mites. Now I have what looks to be springtails with wings. Springtails don't have wings, so perhaps they are termites? I froze this wood for a month before putting it in. :(
Some of the large springtails seem to have wings unless you magnify them - it's just long hairs - setae.
(Obviously if what you have flies, it's not hairs.)