Good macro lens for a Canon EOS 70D

scott99

Arachnoknight
If money is not important, then the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro would be great, but if money is important (like it usually is) then the tamron 90mm 2.8 (old version) and the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM are good. Another thing is don't be afraid of used lenses you can get some really good deals on uses equipment.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Another thing is don't be afraid of used lenses you can get some really good deals on uses equipment.
Provided you know what you are looking for. We have a camera we used for three years that took okay photos. Looked just fine to us. A lens expert took a glance at it one day and remarked the lens had a flaw. Took him all of a half second to spot it.

(In the above case, Fuji is to blame. They sell off factory seconds lenses, letting off brand marketers like Amazon to take the blame and dodge warranty claims.)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If money is not important, then the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro would be great, but if money is important (like it usually is) then the tamron 90mm 2.8 (old version) and the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM are good. Another thing is don't be afraid of used lenses you can get some really good deals on uses equipment.
Does the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro fit the Canon EOS 70D perfectly?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Does the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro fit the Canon EOS 70D perfectly?
Yes and there's also a 100mm f2.8 non L lens that's alot cheaper if you're looking to spend a little less. It's just as good, just not quite as durable as an L lens.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
You could also go with extension tubes or a reverse ring. They're much cheaper options and you just use the kit lens if you have it. Do some research though there are a few cons to that.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Think I'm going to go with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro. Thanks for the help!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes and there's also a 100mm f2.8 non L lens that's alot cheaper if you're looking to spend a little less. It's just as good, just not quite as durable as an L lens.
That is the lens I use for all my micro shots I've posted here. I've shot both before I bought and personally couldn't tell the difference between the L lens and the regular.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Think I'm going to go with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro. Thanks for the help!
You'll like it. The IS is nice but wasn't really worth the extra cost to me. They have came down a lot in price since I was shopping for one though so it's not too bad.

Have fun with it.

Dracaena

Arachnopeon
Also keep in mind that a good flash+diffuser is really useful when doing macro stuff.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Also keep in mind that a good flash+diffuser is really useful when doing macro stuff.
I have a ring light for a lot of micro photography. It can flash or constant light. I don't use anything but constant light (soft box) when photographing Ts though. Regular flashes makes them flighty which is a pain the constant light doesn't cause that to happen as bad.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Well, looks like I won't be getting a new firearm any time soon. I used the money I saved for the gun to purchase the lens. Totally worth it in my opinion. Stay tuned for great pictures to come!

Daeralda

Arachnopeon
Well, looks like I won't be getting a new firearm any time soon. I used the money I saved for the gun to purchase the lens. Totally worth it in my opinion. Stay tuned for great pictures to come!
So, it looks like I am a little late to the party in order to offer you pre-purchase advise. However, I wanted to give you some information for any future photography purchases you may want to make!

My favorite place to shop is www.adorama.com. They have excellent customer service, shipping times, and usually beat the B&H prices. You can also shop used equipment easily and even sell or trade gear.

My first lens purchase was a used Canon 70-200 L and it's practically in mint condition and I was able to snag it for almost half price. I have also traded a 50 macro for a faster standard 50 when I purchased my 180 macro. The trade was super easy and I will definitely do it again the next time I want to upgrade something.

Hope this info is helpful! Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The lens have been working great for me so far! See link in my signature to view some pictures.