Good Macro Camera for Tarantulas

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What sort of macro camera do you all recommend for photographing tarantulas and other arthropods? I've never gotten a macro before, so I'm really curious what all you use or started with!

Thanks!

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
macro is going to be a type of lens, or a style of photography. most point and shoots have a "macro" mode. but best results will be a slr, with a macro lens.
you can also get macro attachments for most smartphones! do a web search of how to shoot macro.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ah, thanks for clearing up the terminology there. The point and shoot I have now does have a macro mode, but it's not very good quality, so I was looking to possibly upgrade. I've learned about lighting and everything from a couple friends who enjoy photography, but they don't know that much about taking macro shots.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any camera with a macro function will take decent shots, I have even had some nice shots I took on my iPhone. The trick is to not zoom in, but instead get your camera as close to your subject as you can. My Nikon D40 took some of the nicest shots I have taken with the stock glass it came with. Although cheaper on the DSLR side of things, they are still not necessarily cheap. You can actually get a nicer setup if you go film. Get yourself a film setup and use the money you saved to get a nice macro lense to go with it. The only downside of that of course is that you have to get the film developed. If you have the money to get a decent camera IME you can never go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I have had issue with Sony and Kodak products so I personally avoid those brands.