Good larger species for beginners?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Give this thread a read on handing... https://arachnoboards.com/threads/handling.334969/

No matter how well you think you know your Tarantula there's no real predicting what they will do at any given moment, a slight breeze or bit of air movement can set them into "flight mode" where they take off, if this happens while it's on your hand it could easily go "splat"...

cold blood

Staff member
What would you consider to be the common size for LP and LK specifically?
7-8" range...no different than many species of large terrestrial...genics are the same basic size, chromatus just a tad smaller...most Pamphs, Phormics or Xenesthis get consistently larger.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
7-8" range...no different than many species of large terrestrial...genics are the same basic size, chromatus just a tad smaller...most Pamphs, Phormics or Xenesthis get consistently larger.
Makes perfect sense then. I was skeptical of the size that breeders put up but I would never have imagined it to differ by a few inches....That said my LK is a fat girl, so the overall size looks bigger than what it is IMO.

Thank you CB

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
this is not a factual statement....no genus has its size more commonly exaggerrated than Lasiodora.
A little dad to hear they are exaggerated I'm size but better to hear it now then be surprised it's smaller than expected when I get one. I guess that means I'm gonna go with an N. Chromatus of I can find one as they are the same size roughly and I personally think the chromatus is prettier.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Anything can happen in a few years time, I would check back when you're ready.

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
Yeah, thanks I'm gonna spend some time reading up on enclosure building and other more general topics for care so I'm at least prepared for a T regardless of species, and as the time draws nearer i'll look more into specifics for one species or another.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
while some folks are saying Lasiodora, but for beginners, the humidity reqs may be a bit much. I have 2 Nhandus and an A. Geniculata and would suggest any of them if you aren't wanting to hold them. They all get big, are awesome eaters and have great coloring. I wouldn't call them aggressive but I classify as 'display' Ts. If you want big, and docile and a good beginner T, I will second (or 3rd) the G Pulcrhipes. Affordable, big, hardy and sweet

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
while some folks are saying Lasiodora, but for beginners, the humidity reqs may be a bit much. I have 2 Nhandus and an A. Geniculata and would suggest any of them if you aren't wanting to hold them. They all get big, are awesome eaters and have great coloring. I wouldn't call them aggressive but I classify as 'display' Ts. If you want big, and docile and a good beginner T, I will second (or 3rd) the G Pulcrhipes. Affordable, big, hardy and sweet
I think I'm gonna go with a N.Chromatus as I love the red and white contrast they have and their lovely shape. Though G. Pulchripes is on my list of potential buys as they are nice looking and easier to find than most of the Nhandus. I do not think there's many legal vendors for N. Geniciulta in my area if any at all regrettably so for now they aren't on my list.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Lasiodora parahybana - for someone new this is the cheapest, easiest option. While their size is somewhat exaggerated (just like every other T out there, by the way) they do get quite large - my female is approaching 8 inches (not DLS, but from left rear to left front). And she was only 4 inches when I got her in early 2018 so their growth rate is pretty decent.

while some folks are saying Lasiodora, but for beginners, the humidity reqs may be a bit much.

??????. LP's are simple, normal T levels of moisture as slings, dry as sub-adults on. I've raised 1 sub-adult and 2 freebie slings this way with no problems.

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
??????. LP's are simple, normal T levels of moisture as slings, dry as sub-adults on. I've raised 1 sub-adult and 2 freebie slings this way with no problems.
I thought that they needed like 65%-70% humidity cause they are a rain forest T

cold blood

Staff member
Nope...not even close. Ts do NOT require number specific humidity...in fact, any t can be raised without issue in any ambient humidity, its just not relevant.

Some simply require damp substrate, the only thing humidity will effect is the frequency in which the sub needs to be dampened.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Do yourself a favor and go search humidity threads on here, you will get conflicting results but most people will point out humidity is not as important as keeping your sub moisture levels correct. I have personally never recorded humidity in my enclosures and probably never will.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I think I'm gonna go with a N.Chromatus as I love the red and white contrast they have and their lovely shape. Though G. Pulchripes is on my list of potential buys as they are nice looking and easier to find than most of the Nhandus. I do not think there's many legal vendors for N. Geniciulta in my area if any at all regrettably so for now they aren't on my list.
where are you located? A Geniculatas are pretty easy and cheap to come by in the SW US. N Chromatus is a great choice, I have a juvenile as well as a juvie Coloratovillosus. My Genic is about 3" right now

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
where are you located? A Geniculatas are pretty easy and cheap to come by in the SW US. N Chromatus is a great choice, I have a juvenile as well as a juvie Coloratovillosus. My Genic is about 3" right now
MIdwest USA close to the great lakes.

Nope...not even close. Ts do NOT require number specific humidity...in fact, any t can be raised without issue in any ambient humidity, its just not relevant.

Some simply require damp substrate, the only thing humidity will effect is the frequency in which the sub needs to be dampened.
got it thanks for the info

Do yourself a favor and go search humidity threads on here, you will get conflicting results but most people will point out humidity is not as important as keeping your sub moisture levels correct. I have personally never recorded humidity in my enclosures and probably never will.
Tis the plan to get reading on the enclosure forums and start seeing how people build and maintain em

cold blood

Staff member
MIdwest USA close to the great l
That doesnt help...lol Im in the milwaukee area, right on L. michigan...theres no issue here finding ANY species, especially common ones like genic or chromatus.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Grammostola pulchripes
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Grammostola iheringi

Get a larger sling or juvenile. LP has milder temperament. Better for beginner.
Na, their temperaments are all over the shop, had 2 adult females, one was the most overly skittish/bolty/flicky tarantula I've ever had and the other was really defensive.

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
That doesnt help...lol Im in the milwaukee area, right on L. michigan...theres no issue here finding ANY species, especially common ones like genic or chromatus.
I'm in Ohio, there was a crackdown on exitc pets recently tarantula's weren't effected but the market for exotics in general is smaller now, and there was a crackdown on tarantula imports in general, not too long ago so while it was targeting illegal vendors it's made it harder for legal vendors who don't have breeding stock already to get in a lot of the Brazilian Tarantulas like the White Knee.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Just to reiterate you shouldn’t handle T’s unless you intentionally dont like them, and humidity isn’t relevant, moisture is relevant, two different types of measurements.