Good larger species for beginners?

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
Just to reiterate you shouldn’t handle T’s unless you intentionally dont like them, and humidity isn’t relevant, moisture is relevant, two different types of measurements.
Noted, what do you tend to measure moisture with? and What's the best ways to keep moisture levels handled on something like a Lasidora for example?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Noted, what do you tend to measure moisture with? and What's the best ways to keep moisture levels handled on something like a Lasidora for example?
If you wanted to be exact you could technically measure moisture with a moisture meter. But by far the easiest is by the color of the substrate. Know what your substrate looks like when wet, and then damp and correct moist level land then dry. If you can be aware of this it can be really easy to keep moisture levels fairly even, in the lightly moist area. This works well for me.

I like to use a mix of coco and peat moss for moisture dependent species.

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
Likely I'm gonna be using the coconut Eco Earth with maybe a washed gravel or other simmilar substance underneath to use as a water layer with a pipe. and maybe a little potting soil mixed with the Eco Earth as well.

Hi
You got many good suggestions from other users above in regards of large species .The thing to have in mind is that temperament will vary depending upon the individual specimens and will most likely change from moult to moult.Do not bother with humidity at all.Just keep part(1/3 ) of the enclosure moist and rest dry to give them option between dry and moist and thats all.
Regards Konstantin

cold blood

Staff member
I'm in Ohio, there was a crackdown on exitc pets recently tarantula's weren't effected but the market for exotics in general is smaller now, and there was a crackdown on tarantula imports in general, not too long ago so while it was targeting illegal vendors it's made it harder for legal vendors who don't have breeding stock already to get in a lot of the Brazilian Tarantulas like the White Knee.
Yeah, but every good seller will ship them right to your house.

Nothing needs to be nearly that precise. There is no magic moisture level....dampen part, wait for it to dry, when it does, simply add water. Lasiodora aren't particularly needy when it comes to moisture, so they can be left to dry out for periods of time.

with maybe a washed gravel or other simmilar substance underneath to use as a water layer with a pipe.
This is a waste of time and effort, you are greatly over thinking the husbandry of tarantulas. Your substrate should be substrate, all the way to the bottom.

Any suitable substrate can be used alone or mixed in any way...substrate is really keepers choice....all work for any t.....for example, some people with large collections keep everything on peat, others on coco fiber, others like myself, just topsoil, others mix the three or two of them.....what you choose wont effect your ability to keep any t you ever want.

Last edited:

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
Yeah, but every good seller will ship them right to your house.

Nothing needs to be nearly that precise. There is no magic moisture level....dampen part, wait for it to dry, when it does, simply add water. Lasiodora aren't particularly needy when it comes to moisture, so they can be left to dry out for periods of time.

This is a waste of time and effort, you are greatly over thinking the husbandry of tarantulas. Your substrate should be substrate, all the way to the bottom.

Any suitable substrate can be used alone or mixed in any way...substrate is really keepers choice....all work for any t.....for example, some people with large collections keep everything on peat, others on coco fiber, others like myself, just topsoil, others mix the three or two of them.....what you choose wont effect your ability to keep any t you ever want.
For that first point that's where my concerns lie, is that it would get tagged by shipping and be seized by the Fishing and Wildlife even if it's a sling from a breeder and all is legally good. However I may just be being paranoid and frankly a lot can change in a few years and that may make things better or I may find someone who breeds them and from there it's all on the table legally and I won't have to worry whatsoever about a seized package or any legal issues as it wasn't imported or stolen from its natural habitat.

As for the rest, that's really helpful to know especially the part of it being overthought on the part of substrate structure I just wanted to be able to make sure it was built well and was easy to monitor hence also the gravel thing as I read in a few places that a structure like that made it easier to handle moisture for longer periods. My choice of Eco Earth comes from always hearing good things about coconut for Ts and the Potting soil is something I was considering trying as a mix to give it a more natural look for the enclosure and possibly include live plants if I think I can muster the time for their care as I want to create a beautiful enclosure for the T if I can.

And for everyone, I'm new to the hobby and new to pets of this nature as a whole. I've only ever had dogs in my life and so I'm probably coming off as obtuse or foolish and that's not my intention so much as my ignorance on pets that are kept in enclosures. I sincerely appreciate everything you guys are saying to me and how much I've learned from this thread alone and from reading other threads linked here. You folks are fantastic and have been probably a little irked but very patient with me and it's helped a lot. I'm glad I took the time to join this community to learn rather than just try and research for myself on the internet. It's given me so much more than any care sheet video or website could.

Though for the gravel thing I think I may have either been misremembering from scorpion threads or saw it on a care sheet somewhere online for Ts where it was just an inch or two at the bottom with a little time that leads down to it to pour water and it keeps the moisture. That's just pure ignorance and bad memory on my part if that's the case.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If u really want to handle/touch your spiders i can recommend doing so with the molts/exuviae, that way u can touch the fangs and everything and your spder sits savely in its enclosure.

for the best experience i would pull the molt early when its still wet, as long as it doesnt disturb the spider too much and pose it to look like the live specimen.

they are great to put into objekt-frames as wall decorations too.

Good luck

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
For that first point that's where my concerns lie, is that it would get tagged by shipping and be seized by the Fishing and Wildlife even if it's a sling from a breeder and all is legally good. However I may just be being paranoid and frankly a lot can change in a few years and that may make things better or I may find someone who breeds them and from there it's all on the table legally and I won't have to worry whatsoever about a seized package or any legal issues as it wasn't imported or stolen from its natural habitat.
You are way over-thinking this. F & W is looking for big illegal imports into country (if they're looking at all). They're not going waste time and money to get somebody buying a couple of slings that are being bred the US. They haven't gone after the breeders, why would they bother with you?

Neodgstar

Arachnopeon
You are way over-thinking this. F & W is looking for big illegal imports into country (if they're looking at all). They're not going waste time and money to get somebody buying a couple of slings that are being bred the US. They haven't gone after the breeders, why would they bother with you?
Already mentioned I'm probably just being paranoid, and at that where are some good vendors to look at? I know of a possible breeder like an hour away but I only know through a chance encounter at work with a T collector who bought from him and don't know how to contact this breeder or where to find his store. So I might as well look at the online vendors to see prices and other things.