Good housing size for a vinegaroon

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
image.jpeg What size should a vinegaroon be kept in? I have a one inch baby and that it is in a medium Kritter keeper. Now would it work for its whole life? I was thinking about moving it into a divided section of a large rectangle breeder box.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really like vinegaroons, I remember seeing pictures when I was a kid but never expected to see one, then I found one walking around in the middle of the day in the desert over 20 years ago, I was amazed, really strange creatures, I have several right now. Yeah that will work, it might hang out under the log cave when out and eating something but probably won't use that much imo. They like to dig under things so if it's not stressed, you probably won't see it much, I use flat rocks. When small it will probably do well with a few inches of substrate but when it's an adult or close to it, 5 or so inches would probably be better.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I don't know if they could be in smaller enclosures. I plan to have a few of them. I never really expected a whole hobby of invertabrates.

jaredc

Arachnosquire
I've never kept vinegaroons but I have Amblypigi; in my experience you want a container with less ventilation, so you may want to ditch the critter keeper or cover some of the top with seran rap. Looks janky, I know, but it works. I've heard they like a lot of sub for burrowing as well, so you may want to take that into account. As long as it has enough room to stretch out comfortably I think it should be fine.

jaredc

Arachnosquire
If they're anything like Amblypigi they will be more active and exploratory at night and early hours of the morning.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
A medium critter keeper should suffice, deep substrate is very important for their well being though. They molt, ley eggs and hibernate (yes they hibernate) deep in the ground.

-JohnD.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
A medium critter keeper should suffice, deep substrate is very important for their well being though. They molt, ley eggs and hibernate (yes they hibernate) deep in the ground.

-JohnD.
Yeah, they burrow a lot. Hopefully the OP has deep sub. Also, it probably won't go it's whole life in a medium. Probably as an adult it will need a large. Given I have never owned one I can't say for sure, but a lot of people say they are relatively inactive because they make and stay in their burrow.