Good fish to entertain my cat?

Pepper

Arachnosquire
I have a spare 55gal tank and I'd like to get some fish for my cat to watch, and for some "bedroom ambiance" if you know what i mean. Someone on facebook said that they have tried this and goldfish were the only thing they tried that caught the cat's attention. Anyone here have anything to add?

Also, i obviously havent done much research yet, but what else do I need for this tank? Gravel obviously, maybe some catfish to clean, but what about a filter? The pet store near me has an "under-gravel" filter that the packaging says is the best option because the impurities naturally go to the bottom. Anyone with experience there?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Treat goldfish like you would predatory fish. They need LOADS of filtration. Best bet would be a massive canister filter.

I can highly recommend checking out a your tuber called Pong Guru. He talks about a full filtration cycle and just what that entails.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Goldfish produce a huge amount of waste, an under gravel filter will not work for them. I used to use under gravel filtration years ago and could never keep them alive for very long. I have my goldfish "Dave" in a Marineland Eclipse tank with an outside filter that uses biological filtration and he's been going strong for 14 years now.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Goldfish produce a huge amount of waste, an under gravel filter will not work for them. I used to use under gravel filtration years ago and could never keep them alive for very long. I have my goldfish "Dave" in a Marineland Eclipse tank with an outside filter that uses biological filtration and he's been going strong for 14 years now.
Ive also read goldfish need a lot more space than you'd think. How big is yours and how big is the tank?

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Dave is about 5 inches counting his tail, he's in a 12 gallon tank which is really too small for a goldfish but I don't have room for a larger one, but the filter on his tank filters 150 gallons an hour. I do a 25% water change, vacuum the gravel and change the filter cartridge once a week . He's just a plain old feeder goldfish, nothing fancy.

I believe the recommendation for goldfish is 30 gallons for one and 12 gallons more for each fish. It also depends on if they're fancy goldfish , I don't know the exact requirements but I think fancy ones need more room.Edited to include a pic of Dave. Excuse the algae, he likes to nibble on it.
Dave.jpg

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Other species of fish would be a group of neon tetras, rainbowfish, danios, etc. You can’t really fit any monster cichlids in a 55 gallon but maybe a pair of convicts, angels, or rams would work.