Good enclosure for GBB?

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I'm picking up a 2" female C. cyaneopubescens tomorrow and am putting together an enclosure for her. I have several other Ts already, but I've never had one that webs like a GBB.

So this is what I've come up with. It's an 8x8x8 enclosure with a front opening door as well as some small feeding doors (so we can hopefully avoid any bolting out of the enclosure, haha). I added about an inch and a half of substrate so far and plan to add a bit more to build up the back side of the enclosure a bit. I kept it pretty simple knowing that she'll just make it her own anyway. I'm hoping she'll keep the webbing centralized so I'll still have access to the front door without tearing any web.

Anything I should do differently or add to it? Is this a good amount of space for a GBB this size?

PXL_20210208_142315863.jpg PXL_20210208_142354213.jpg

miranda0331

Arachnosquire
In my opinion I think it’s too large for only a 2” T, it may get stressed.
The branch’s are a great idea but you’ll also need an actual hide for it that it can at least use until it gets settled and starts webbing.
This is what I currently have my GBB in, I bought it when I first got him at about 1” and he’s still okay in it at about 3”. I hope this helps a little, I’m sure some others will have some more great advice. :)

Attachments

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Tank has too much depth and poses a fall risk. Water dish should be in the substrate, not again at all fall risk. Those units are hard for terrestrials because of the doors, it limits the amount of substrate. It also lacks an actual hide / burrow. My suggestion is something fairly low, with ample floor space. Build a hide at one end and then decorate the entrance with some branches, Bury / Cover the hide so it makes a second level, kind of like having a deck on top of the house. This is my set up for a large AF, shortly after moving her in. You can see the dirt ramps up to her deck on either side and the branch extensions outside the mouth of her hide.
Date Night 2.jpg
Here is a more recent picture with more webbing
Cali Temple O Doom.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm picking up a 2" female C. cyaneopubescens tomorrow and am putting together an enclosure for her. I have several other Ts already, but I've never had one that webs like a GBB.

So this is what I've come up with. It's an 8x8x8 enclosure with a front opening door as well as some small feeding doors (so we can hopefully avoid any bolting out of the enclosure, haha). I added about an inch and a half of substrate so far and plan to add a bit more to build up the back side of the enclosure a bit. I kept it pretty simple knowing that she'll just make it her own anyway. I'm hoping she'll keep the webbing centralized so I'll still have access to the front door without tearing any web.

Anything I should do differently or add to it? Is this a good amount of space for a GBB this size?

View attachment 375044 View attachment 375045
Way Too big - use a critter keeper

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Thanks, guys. I do have a smaller KK on hand - I'll use that until she's bigger.
I actually put the water dish there because that's the level I planned to fill up the substrate to on the back side. (I hate the front ventilation placement on these enclosures.) I worked on it today and it looks like this now. But I'll either save it for later or maybe put a different T in it - I have a few that need rehousing. ;)
PXL_20210208_184819743.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Chromatoplema cyaneopubescens is a terrestrial it is not ‘semi arboreal’. It should be set up as a terrestrial 😁

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I mean, I WANT you to have that enclosure for her and see her web up those angles for some killer photos. But as others have said, it is by no means a safe setup. They are fairly heavy and a fall can end their life. Similar to us. You can't fall 12 feet recklessly and just walk away without a doctor visit. 12 feet is a little over 2 stories btw. Steve-O can be a testament to whimsically falling that far unimpeded.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Thanks, guys. I do have a smaller KK on hand - I'll use that until she's bigger.
I actually put the water dish there because that's the level I planned to fill up the substrate to on the back side. (I hate the front ventilation placement on these enclosures.) I worked on it today and it looks like this now. But I'll either save it for later or maybe put a different T in it - I have a few that need rehousing. ;)
View attachment 375065
This Setup ist absolutly OK for a GBB (when it ist a

View attachment 375044 View attachment 375045
If your spider is a bit bigger then the above setup of yours will be optimal. For now there is enough earth to dig and although she is an earth inhabitant she will spin up every inch! The branches are great and they love to go up!