good emperor scorpion setup?

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can somebody explain why the false bottom setup works better than just keeping the substrate damp? i'm confused about how this works.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The principle of how it works is that the water below the substrate will be pulled through the sub. as the moisture on the surface evaporates keeping it damp, and if the air flow is contained by a glass top the humidity will rise. So long as there is water in the rocks. (I have a corn snake set up with a false bottom I don't use the glass cover {I want a moderate humidity level} and the substrate is dry to the touch and the water dries up weekly, but that is another environment)

I used to use substrate misted daily, this would keep the top damp, My humidity was always dropping ranging from 60s to 80s (after mist). I ran across a thread here some where talking about false bottom set ups. I tried it and loved them. During the winter here (now) my house ranges in the 20-30% humidity and 65°F (thats what I like) so my tanks would dry out quickly (I've been keeping emperors now for over 1.5yrs, two winters) last winter I had to mist twice daily, so I bought a fogger, tried putting more water surface area in there and these helped. But the false bottom setup keeps the humidity way up where I like to see it. I changed over all my tanks now, the video I shot was my last change over tank, it's been 2 weeks now since it was set up and the humidity is enough to leave condensation on the glass.

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Thaedion to my you tube channel all 10 of the videos are there total run time is near 30 minutes. I want to make a concise video with less narrative but don't have the time yet.

I just took some pictures this morning of the tank I set up in the video to answer another PM here they are.

PS: I don't mind any one putting any of my works on the web or in their posts, just don't make direct links to items from my servers "/holding_bin" as it sucks bandwidth.

Regards Thaedion

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use the false bottom style tank with great success.