Good Deal? + Noob Question

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im just wonderin if this is a good deal, Im planning to get all 1 cm slings of the following:

B. smithi
B. emillia
B. boehimi
B. klaasi
B. auratum

All for $150... Is it ok, or are they just too fragile to get as a group(and I might end up disappointed with high mortality rate)? And also, I have been taking care of a Rosea for 10 months now... form 1cm and now 1 1/2 inch. Is it advisable/ok for a beginner to then get 5 of the Ts mentioned above right away? Or should I start slowly, get it one by one, or atleast by 2s?

THANKS!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
all those species are pretty hardy and don't need anything special for temps or humidity. so you should be ok with them.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'm not in the philippines. so i don't know about the pricing there.
as long as you feel comfortable about paying that for the spiders it is ok.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But in US, how much are those 5 slings all in all? I know the price here is different, but atleast Ill have an idea.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here in Holland i expect to pay about 25 euro for the 5. this should come down to $150 US at the moment i think.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For the US, you are getting a decent deal. Nothing to make me knock people over for, but decent. The klaasi is fairly expensive so that brings the price of the package up. I think, however, spiders are more expensive in the Philippines so you are doing ok then, no? Brackys are hardy, even at that size so you should be ok, just pay attention to them and don't let them dry out, make sure you feed them well hydrated prey. That is such a beautiful selection!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THANKS GUYS! I plan on getting only 2 but after different opinions about how beautiful they all are from this place, and of course, pics... I really plan to get them.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's just as easy to kill a 1 cm rosea as it is a 1 cm brachy, or put another way, if you were able to raise a 1 cm rosea to 4 cm or so, than you should have no problems raising a brachy.

Norsken

Arachnopeon
Congrats, you are getting 5 great T's, which are pretty easy to raise.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
THANKS! Anyway as of Brachy, how many years before they hit maturity/start breeding?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are a lot of variables at play. It depends on the type of spider, sex, temperatures, feeding schedule, other things I can't think of right now.... You could breed female brachys at a much smaller size then most people think, you just get a smaller sack. Some people feed their brachys a lot so they grow big fast, I don't feed a lot or frequent, mine grow slowly. I'm not in a hurry for anything.... I know my answer wasn't the most helpful, but I think it needed to be said anyway.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im just wonderin if this is a good deal, Im planning to get all 1 cm slings of the following:

B. smithi
B. emillia
B. boehimi
B. klaasi
B. auratum

All for $150... Is it ok, or are they just too fragile to get as a group(and I might end up disappointed with high mortality rate)? And also, I have been taking care of a Rosea for 10 months now... form 1cm and now 1 1/2 inch. Is it advisable/ok for a beginner to then get 5 of the Ts mentioned above right away? Or should I start slowly, get it one by one, or atleast by 2s?

THANKS!
brachys are a hardy bunch so i don't think you'll have a problem ordering them in groups or by 2's. i personally would say order all as a group even as a beginner because they aren't that hard to care for. they like dry substrate, but don't mistake them for a genus that doesn't need water. what i would do is quite simple. every couple of days, lightly mist half of their enclosure sides. i do this with any terrestrial sling i own so they can drink from the water drops. don't mist the substrate however.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK THANKS! I guess I wont breed, Im not planning on "power feeding" or whatever. Just happy to take care of them...

Anyway, I use potting soil for my Rosea(bought it from a hardware store), can I use the same for them all? Or should I use something dryer like cocopeat?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK THANKS! I guess I wont breed, Im not planning on "power feeding" or whatever. Just happy to take care of them...

Anyway, I use potting soil for my Rosea(bought it from a hardware store), can I use the same for them all? Or should I use something dryer like cocopeat?
you could use potting soil, but there's another huge thread that just blew up with a question like that. (too lazy to post link, but it's a recent thread) I say just save yourself the hassle and guesswork and use cocofiber substrate. it retains humidity really well and if you look around, you can buy it in bulk from an independent local petstore. like 10 lbs for 10 bucks or something like that where i live.

the only other popular brand that your corporate petstore would carry is probably EcoEarth (aka ecoterra)

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd suggest you get all 5.. those are great T's with a great package price.. Oh yes I love Brachys too.. but I ain't got the money to purchase them..:( but if you can shell out $150 for those 5.. I'd say it's a pretty good deal..

Good Luck kababayan! ;)