Good deal for T. Blondi?

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
A couple days ago I went to a LPS and they had a T. Blondi for sale. I'm not sure of the sex, but this thing was HUGE! It had to be like 8 or 9 inches. They wanted $130 for it, do you think this is a good deal? Thanks for replies!
-Genny

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A couple days ago I went to a LPS and they had a T. Blondi for sale. I'm not sure of the sex, but this thing was HUGE! It had to be like 8 or 9 inches. They wanted $130 for it, do you think this is a good deal? Thanks for replies!
-Genny
Wasn't a true T. blondi.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
-Genny
Thats not bad to bad if it is a True T. blondi. But then you should be sure about the sex if you want it to last a while.
Theraphosa Sp. (sirimi,burgundy,spinipes) Usually range from $80-110 and upwards online. Usually the bigger they are the more money they charge..
Theraphosa have extra care cost involved with maintaining proper humidity & heat.
But from my recent experiences with LPS is its better to buy from a reputable source like some of the great people on AB :)
You could probably get one on here and have a sexed female.
Good luck in your purchase Theraphosa are fun!:D

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dont buy them from petstores, they are wild cought:mad:

Mez

Arachnoknight
What, but people other people don't sell wild caught tarantulas!?

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
whats so much better about a T.blondi, than about a T. stirmi anways?
Nothing. The differences are so minor that they usually go unnoticed. T blondis are only more expensive because there are less of them in the hobby.
Unless you are a serious collector, then you might as well pay alot less money for a stirmi and get basically the same spider.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Don't worry about it being wild caught. The locals EAT them. You're probably saving them from being someone's dinner.

And if it's THAT large, then yes, in my opinion, its worth it. I never seem them that big at the LPS.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't worry about it being wild caught. The locals EAT them. You're probably saving them from being someone's dinner.

And if it's THAT large, then yes, in my opinion, its worth it. I never seem them that big at the LPS.
The locals are not harvesting them:mad: And he is not saving them, as long as you buy them from petstores there will be more harvesting of them. In a few years they will be extinct thanks to people like you.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are many reasons why captive bred is better. Of course, it is your choice and the price is reasonable for a spider that large.

And yes, buying them usually just guarantees that more will be collected.

Good luck.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Lol Falk, I did not say I was buying it. I was just curious what people thought. Also, I'm not a he. I am, in fact, a she. :D
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing. The differences are so minor that they usually go unnoticed. T blondis are only more expensive because there are less of them in the hobby.
Unless you are a serious collector, then you might as well pay alot less money for a stirmi and get basically the same spider.
Well, that is as accurate as you want it to be.
2 diff specie, 2 diff spiders.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Well, that is as accurate as you want it to be.
2 diff specie, 2 diff spiders.
They are two different spiders yes, but I was just stating that only those who are very familiar with theraphosas would even notice the difference.
To your average everyday collector, they are virtually indistinguishable. Even serious collectors had them listed as the same species for quite some time.
For the regular guy who just wants what has typically been known as goliath birdeaters, I think that either blondi or stirmi would suffice.
But for breeding purposes and theraphosa enthusiasts(such as yourself), clearly keeping the 2 species seperate will of course be essential.

Mez

Arachnoknight
The locals are not harvesting them:mad: And he is not saving them, as long as you buy them from petstores there will be more harvesting of them. In a few years they will be extinct thanks to people like you.
Don't be so ignorant. Yes they are.
Aside from food, locals also dig them up from their burrow, kill them, put them in a frame and sell them in markets or kiosks to tourists. This is very well known, and video containing Rick West also backs this up, by showing them do it.
Also, most exporters are local to the country. Very rare you'll find a hobbyist in Guyana, Kenya, Vietnam etc from Europe or usa working for the national minimum wage of said country catching tarantulas, they're usually locals trying to make a living.
I've seen you post on a few threads about WC tarantulas in a negative manner, but you do realise only a handful of species are commonly produced enough to supply the market for them? No species would be in captivity without being wild caught, and we would never HAVE a chance to produce cb specimens if there were no wc!
You dont own, or never have owned a wc animal?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't be so ignorant. Yes they are.
Aside from food, locals also dig them up from their burrow, kill them, put them in a frame and sell them in markets or kiosks to tourists. This is very well known, and video containing Rick West also backs this up, by showing them do it.
Also, most exporters are local to the country. Very rare you'll find a hobbyist in Guyana, Kenya, Vietnam etc from Europe or usa working for the national minimum wage of said country catching tarantulas, they're usually locals trying to make a living.
I've seen you post on a few threads about WC tarantulas in a negative manner, but you do realise only a handful of species are commonly produced enough to supply the market for them? No species would be in captivity without being wild caught, and we would never HAVE a chance to produce cb specimens if there were no wc!
You dont own, or never have owned a wc animal?
No i have never owned a wc spider or any other wc animal. Imo it is ok to take a few animals and breed them and introduce slings into the hobby but it is not ok to harvest big areas just to make money. Why do you think Chile have stopped all exports? because they close to being endangered.
If you support the wc trade, go ahead. Hundreds of them dies when they are gased out of their burrows and collected and shipped and you are fine by that.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Why do you think Chile have stopped all exports? because they close to being endangered.
Is this true? Sorry if Im off topic, but I havent heard that . I sure hope so for the sake of G. rosea though.:rolleyes:

Later, Tom

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is this true? Sorry if Im off topic, but I havent heard that . I sure hope so for the sake of G. rosea though.:rolleyes:

Later, Tom
Yes last year.
So perhaps some of the Grammostola spp. Euathlus spp. to name a few will become expensive:)

This was the exporters homepage www.chilearacnidos.com (down now) just google it you will find some info about it.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That is great news for Grammostola ect.. :clap: Although its prob bad news for other spiders such as Theraphosa as the demand will increase for pet shops to fill there empty tanks:wall:

Later, Tom

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can not compare the impact on the wild of what the local indigenous have been doing to survive for so many years, as a necessity and cohabitating with nature,with the damage that the WC pet trade can do to those populations fr the only purpse of PROFIT.

And please, lets not be ignorant. Lets not make statements like "I would rather keep them in my tank than let them end up as dinner".
Lets think a bit before posting. :rolleyes:

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
Without the WC tarantulas, none of us would have T's. Therefore, by this logic, none of us should keep them.

I prefer captive bred, but wild caught isn't going away.