Good day to be in the hobby

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
The hobby had a good day and I thought I'd share.I was talking to a guy I was working with,and he asked for my card(we're carpenters).The only card I had on me was the one I pass out at herp shows where I vend T's.He looked at the card for a moment,unsure of what he was looking at,then said "oh you do tarantulas? My son has wanted one since he was 5,but his mother won't allow them in the house". His son's 20th birthday was coming up,so I asked if I could talk to his wife.It took an hour,but I convinced her to let him get one for his birthday! They brought him over to my house,not telling him why he was coming over.When he arrived,I said "you must be the the birthday boy who's here to get a pet goat".I then took him down and showed him my goats,the whole time he believed he was getting a goat!Then I said I might have something in the cellar you might be interested in,and took him to the spider room.His eyes lit up like a 5 yr old on Christmas.After an hour of looking at everything,I sent him home with a nice B.smithi with a proper habitat,and a tiny L.p. sling so he can learn how to take care of tiny slings.Mom almost bought one for herself,she was completely over her fear by the time she left! Armed with his slings,my # in case he needs advice,and of course Arachnoboards' address,he left with a smile that probably went on for days.It was a good day.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thank you for helping out a newbie! I wish more new tarantula owners were started off like this and not by going into Petco and picking out a 'Rose hair bird eater baboon'. I'm actually a bit jealous, wish I started off that way haha.

Hopefully we'll see them around the board sometime!

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Yes,he was turning 20,which means he wanted a T for 15 years. Very happy guy.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Excellent thread, no better way for a beginner to enter the hobby. Well done!
Btw, did he get the family discount? After all, it was his birthday! Lol!