Good cheap substrate?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I currently am using ECO earth, but when housing many spiders I was wondering if there is a cheaper better substrate?? :biggrin:

Thanks

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dirt is cheap. Just have to bake it or otherwise sterilize it to avoid parasites, bacteria or any other unwanted problems. It's not the most consistent substrate as far as texture, color or density but it's the cheapest thing I know of

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've used peat for them. Not moss, just peat. I used to get really clean stuff, now I have to sift it to get all the sticks and stuff out.

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
Does peat Moss itself work well for Ts?? or must you mix it with something else.
I switched from Eco Earth to peat and it works great! All my T's seem are perfectly fine with it and my burrowers absolutely love the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Just have to bake it or otherwise sterilize it to avoid parasites, bacteria or any other unwanted problems.
Oh please, you do not have to bake it before using it. You do realize as soon as it's sterilized it becomes dirty again as soon as it's used, right?

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Oh please, you do not have to bake it before using it. You do realize as soon as it's sterilized it becomes dirty again as soon as it's used, right?
Um.... Are you being serious?

You can get a big bag of fill dirt for $1 and some change at Home Depot. Works great especially mixed with a little bit of Eco Earth.

Last edited:

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
I've seen this discussed before, and at Walmart you can get a product by "Earthgro" that sells for about $2 in either potting or topsoil. sift it first through a 1/8" screen and cut it at about 75% soil to 25% coir. You won't be disappointed! I prefer the potting soil as it has less sand and contains some peat.
Does peat Moss itself work well for Ts?? or must you mix it with something else.

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Baking doesn't clean it, it just kills things that live in it. If you dig up dirt from your yard there's liable to be any number of baddies living in it. Parasitic worms for example. Mites are another. Bake them and they die and therefore pose no risk. It has nothing to do with being "dirty"

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At £1 a block, coir is cheap and probably the most commonly used substrate here.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use nothing but exo terra plantation soil. Goes for about $7 for a 3 pack on ebay.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use a blend of coffee grounds, crushed eggshells, and leftover ham sandwiches....lol....but no really....listen to catfishrod....he knows his stuff

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You can get a big bag of fill dirt for $1 and some change at Home Depot. Works great.
+1. That's what I use, the cheap top soil from Home Depot, the kind without any fertilizer added. 40 lbs for $1.30.

cold blood

Staff member
I use a gold, frankincense, myrrh mixture (with a little peat, of course). I call it the wise man mix.;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
do they sell it in Ohio??I don't recall any 40 ib bags that cheap
I get my top soil from the local Florida Home Depots, so I don't know about the rest of the country. I'd think it's around the same price nationwide, if anything, cheaper up north. You've probably been looking at all the expensive top soils with additives.