"good" care sheets

Oliverhenderson

Arachnopeon
so i know that most caresheets are trash but i found this one website called Mike basic tarantula.com is this a reliable source?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
nope. it emphasizes humidity numbers.
besides that, and saying Avics need high humidity, its okay.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I use it for a very rough idea on how to care for a spider that I have no experience with. But no advice on care is law, even what you read on here.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I use it for a very rough idea on how to care for a spider that I have no experience with. But no advice on care is law, even what you read on here.
Agreed but lets be fair, alot of you here are VERY experienced w/ a WIDE variety of T's and the advice given here is more often then not "dead to rights".
This is easily the best source of info i have ever cone across reguarding T's

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed but lets be fair, alot of you here are VERY experienced w/ a WIDE variety of T's and the advice given here is more often then not "dead to rights".
This is easily the best source of info i have ever cone across reguarding T's
Same here. Just about everything I know about invertebrates, I've learned on this site. I believe it was either @Andrea82 or @Paiige that recently said the real sign of an experienced keeper is being able to use your own judgement in situations. I'm paraphrasing, of course. Unless it's a run of the mill question, I try to encourage newbies to think for themselves. Use what we say as a template, and go from there.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Same here. Just about everything I know about invertebrates, I've learned on this site. I believe it was either @Andrea82 or @Paiige that recently said the real sign of an experienced keeper is being able to use your own judgement in situations. I'm paraphrasing, of course. Unless it's a run of the mill question, I try to encourage newbies to think for themselves. Use what we say as a template, and go from there.
Yes, that was thanks to my little G. pulchripes defying all logic and giving me heart attacks :D
And another thing to know, and I can't stress this enough - Ts are all individuals. They don't always follow the rules - they're not robots manufactured to follow a certain behavior. They're living creatures, capable of as many personality differences as your cat. My GBB doesn't web. My rosie wouldn't bite if I stuck my finger in her mouth. One of my A. avics is a d*ck, and the other one is sweet as a kitten.

Care on here is important as a framework, and yes you should know how to create an appropriate environment for them and what/how often to feed them. But ultimately you're responsible for your own animals...and to keep them thriving and happy, you need to be able to sometimes make your own calls, even if the general rule says otherwise. You need to learn how your animals behave, same as you would a dog or cat. If your dog is sick and doesn't feel well, he may not be puking or having diarrhea or any sort of obvious "textbook" symptoms - he could be laying in the corner pouting and and it's your role as a caretaker to notice that. Same thing goes with Ts. Yes, they're less expressive than other animals you may have, but you still need to be in tune with them. That's the most important thing. Some people on these boards have probably been keeping Ts as long as I've been alive, and in the early days the internet wasn't a viable source of information. They still kept their babes alive, and learned how to care for them by paying attention to what works and what doesn't.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
One of my A. avics is a d*ck
Does he take the last ice cube and leave the tray empty for the next person? Or is he more of a "I put the toilet roll on so it feeds from the bottom" kind of guy?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Mikes Basic is okay. There isnt need for specific hunidity levels and he has listings with wrong names for species. Seen a good few arboreals listed as terrestrials too.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Does he take the last ice cube and leave the tray empty for the next person? Or is he more of a "I put the toilet roll on so it feeds from the bottom" kind of guy?
He's the kind of guy to leave the ice cube tray on the counter with ice still in it so it all melts into a puddle. Which then leaves no ice for the next person and also a big mess at the same time.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Mikes Basic is okay. There isnt need for specific hunidity levels and he has listings with wrong names for species. Seen a good few arboreals listed as terrestrials too.
If I need to know something about a T really quickly, I'll go to Mike's Basic Tarantulas and then take what he says with a grain of salt. I don't always have time to read through 5 different somewhat-relevant threads on here, though I do prefer to read about people's personal interactions with Ts more than I do reading "Temperament: Somewhat skittish, Defensive" on a care sheet.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
100% and im the same way!!!
I have been in the hobby for 20+ yrs an doing alot wrong for 19 of them lol.
I only recently found this forum and found i was doing alot wrong but doing alot correct as well.
To be honest, the only reason i even considered attempting a breed project for my P. met is due to this resource.
W/out it, theres no way i would have approaced the idea