what is a good "beginner" tarantula?

• Mexican Red Knee

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Grammostola Rosea

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Kittee

Arachnopeon
hi! im new here and new to the hobby as well .
just getting the hang of this forum.
<edit> trying to find a good beginner tarantula

Last edited by a moderator:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Generally speaking, Grammostola and Brachypelma are very good starter Ts. Others can work too, but they don't check as many starter T boxes. (Available, not too expensive, not too fast, weak venom, tolerate husbandry errors well, tend to be less defensive, and don't get so large that you need a huge enclosure.)

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Either one of those species is appropriate for beginners - they are both hardy, dead easy to care for, and are long lived. However, Grammostola rosea/porteri can often fast for very long periods and that can cause a brand new person to worry unnecessarily. I have never had a Brachypelma hamorii fast for any extended period. Also, the Grammostola is going to be slower growing than the Brachypelma - although both species are considered slow growing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

Kittee

Arachnopeon
Generally speaking, Grammostola and Brachypelma are very good starter Ts. Others can work too, but they don't check as many starter T boxes. (Available, not too expensive, not too fast, weak venom, tolerate husbandry errors well, tend to be less defensive, and don't get so large that you need a huge enclosure.)
Thank u! in ur opinion, do these 2 species like/tolerate being held? or would u not recommend that? i know each animal has their personality. im the type who likes to handle my pets. i have reptiles and 2 scorps. but never had a tarantula

Either one of those species is appropriate for beginners - they are both hardy, dead easy to care for, and are long lived. However, Grammostola rosea/porteri can often fast for very long periods and that can cause a brand new person to worry unnecessarily. I have never had a Brachypelma hamorii fast for any extended period. Also, the Grammostola is going to be slower growing than the Brachypelma - although both species are considered slow growing.

thank u for the information!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Thank u! in ur opinion, do these 2 species like/tolerate being held? or would u not recommend that? i know each animal has their personality. im the type who likes to handle my pets.
Species do have tendencies, but each specimen really has its own personality. There are highly defensive B. hamorii specimens out there, and fairly gentle P. cancerides. You won't know until you have that individual for a while.

I am against handling in general, because it risks the animal's life for no benefit. They do not bond with you, recognize you, remember it, or enjoy it at all. To a tarantula, a large animal picking it up is at best something to tolerate, and at worst, a predator about to eat them, which causes defensiveness. And most people's instinctual reaction to a defensive tarantula on them is to yank their hand back, which often leads to a fall, ruptured abdomen, and death. There are lots of "cuddly" pets available that can satisfy you. I think of these more like display animals, kind of like tropical fish.

Kittee

Arachnopeon
Species do have tendencies, but each specimen really has its own personality. There are highly defensive B. hamorii specimens out there, and fairly gentle P. cancerides. You won't know until you have that individual for a while.

I am against handling in general, because it risks the animal's life for no benefit. They do not bond with you, recognize you, remember it, or enjoy it at all. To a tarantula, a large animal picking it up is at best something to tolerate, and at worst, a predator about to eat them, which causes defensiveness. And most people's instinctual reaction to a defensive tarantula on them is to yank their hand back, which often leads to a fall, ruptured abdomen, and death. There are lots of "cuddly" pets available that can satisfy you. I think of these more like display animals, kind of like tropical fish.

thxx i will definitely keep that in mind n of course will always respect n protect my pets.