1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Good beginner Tarantula

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Kittee, Jul 29, 2019.

what is a good "beginner" tarantula?

1. Mexican Red Knee

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Grammostola Rosea

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kittee

Kittee Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    hi! im new here and new to the hobby as well .
    just getting the hang of this forum.
    <edit> trying to find a good beginner tarantula

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2019
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kittee

Kittee Arachnopeon

4. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Generally speaking, Grammostola and Brachypelma are very good starter Ts. Others can work too, but they don't check as many starter T boxes. (Available, not too expensive, not too fast, weak venom, tolerate husbandry errors well, tend to be less defensive, and don't get so large that you need a huge enclosure.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Either one of those species is appropriate for beginners - they are both hardy, dead easy to care for, and are long lived. However, Grammostola rosea/porteri can often fast for very long periods and that can cause a brand new person to worry unnecessarily. I have never had a Brachypelma hamorii fast for any extended period. Also, the Grammostola is going to be slower growing than the Brachypelma - although both species are considered slow growing.

6. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Information about tarantulas, including beginner-friendly species: Tarantula Information for Beginners (and More)

How to use the classified section (finding review, searching for particular species): "Where to Buy" Inquiries

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2019
  7. Kittee

Kittee Arachnopeon

Thank u! in ur opinion, do these 2 species like/tolerate being held? or would u not recommend that? i know each animal has their personality. im the type who likes to handle my pets. i have reptiles and 2 scorps. but never had a tarantula

thank u for the information!

8. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Species do have tendencies, but each specimen really has its own personality. There are highly defensive B. hamorii specimens out there, and fairly gentle P. cancerides. You won't know until you have that individual for a while.

I am against handling in general, because it risks the animal's life for no benefit. They do not bond with you, recognize you, remember it, or enjoy it at all. To a tarantula, a large animal picking it up is at best something to tolerate, and at worst, a predator about to eat them, which causes defensiveness. And most people's instinctual reaction to a defensive tarantula on them is to yank their hand back, which often leads to a fall, ruptured abdomen, and death. There are lots of "cuddly" pets available that can satisfy you. I think of these more like display animals, kind of like tropical fish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kittee

Kittee Arachnopeon

thxx i will definitely keep that in mind n of course will always respect n protect my pets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.