Good beginner OB or Arboreal

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Any suggestion? Anything but avicularia avicularia. They are hard to find in Indonesia

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor has been reclassified as Caribena versicolor, if you're looking for those. Absolutely gorgeous, and pretty easy to keep. They were one of my first Ts.

mellow

Arachnobaron
Caribena versicolor are an awesome beginner arboreal tarantula! My one inch caribena versicolor sling made a three or four inch web tunnel super fast! 😁

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Versi are the best Avic to start with - they are excellent eaters, good growth rate

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
I am thinking of either C. Versicolor or E. Campestratus. Leaning to versicolor, but I heard Campestratus is harder to get. This probably will be my last T. Wife will kill me if I buy another

Seekeroftruth

Arachnopeon
I would not recommend caribena versicolor slings due to my own experience of mine not eating. Many other people have had this issue with them even when the pics of their set up looks great. Other people claim the opposite of this, saying they are voracious eaters and great hunters. I wouldn't risk it.

Tapinauchenious and psudoclamoeis, both in my experience, settle into their enclosures much better, making interesting web curtains quickly, eat very well and will tend to utilize their entire enclosure. Even my smallest one, I've seen hunt and take down live, appropriately sized prey. This makes them very interesting as slings. Due to their appetites, i bet they will grow up quick which is great if you want adults sooner.

For an avic, I would reccomend avic avic. I should have killed 2 of mine due to a huge husbandry error but they are doing great still. A lot of people have ended up with dead avics mysteriously though, so its up to you if you want to risk it.

Peru purple is the most beautiful avic in my opinion. It's not the the same as purpurea. Something to look into.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
p.cambridgei seems to be a popular beginner arboreal. Mine is still a sling so I can not speak too much from personal experience. I love my d.diamantinensis. I have heard some talk about the d.dia being bolty and reclusive but mine has been often out on display. They are good webbers an beautiful. It is a dwarf species, which can turn some people away, but I would not underrate them.

g.pulchripes seems to be rather fossorial. Mine digs pretty deep but it is still a young sling.

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
Something a bit exotic:
Avicularia sp amazonica
Avicularia purpurea
Iridopelma hirsutum
Ybyrapora diversipes
Pachistopelma bromelicola

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I would not recommend caribena versicolor slings due to my own experience of mine not eating. Many other people have had this issue with them even when the pics of their set up looks great. Other people claim the opposite of this, saying they are voracious eaters and great hunters. I wouldn't risk it.
Out of all the ones I've raised they're the best eaters as slings and hardiest species out of the entire subfamily.

Tapinauchenious and psudoclamoeis
Neither genus is suitable for beginners, both genera are widely regarded as some of the (if not the) fastest in the hobby and their venom packs more of a punch than other NW species.

A lot of people have ended up with dead avics mysteriously though, so its up to you if you want to risk it.
No, a lot of people kill them by housing them in overly moist/stuffy death-traps. If kept mostly dry and in well ventilated enclosures they do very well.

p.cambridgei seems to be a popular beginner arboreal.
Also not really a beginner arboreal despite being the easiest of the intermediate species.

Something a bit exotic:
Avicularia sp amazonica
Avicularia purpurea
Iridopelma hirsutum
Ybyrapora diversipes
Pachistopelma bromelicola
Avicularia sp. "Amazonica" is now Avicularia variegata

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Thx u for all the inputs. I got a c versicolor 2" sling. Feeding arboreal is a new challenge

Royalty

Arachnoknight
[QUOTE="The Grym Reaper, post: 3101987]
Also not really a beginner arboreal despite being the easiest of the intermediate species.

[/QUOTE]
There are not many NW Arboreals. Even Pinktoes which are regarded as beginner friendly they still do have some challenges as well (that being said proper husbandry usually results in no problems like you said). they said no Avics which kind of rules them out so I feel like if they do not have access to any "pink toes" then p.cambridgei would be the next best thing. (but yeh if you can, I would go with a "Pink Toe" they are freaking adorable and pretty chill)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thx u for all the inputs. I got a c versicolor 2" sling. Feeding arboreal is a new challenge
Congrats. They are a great species and IME have been pretty easy to care for. Mine is a total sweetheart and was very easy to rehouse as she grew.

Last edited:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Congrats. They are a great species and IME have been pretty easy to create for. Mine is a total sweetheart and was very easy to rehouse as she grew.
I agree. My versi was my first arborial. I'm still newish (1.5 yrs/12 Ts) and I found all the info here super helpful and so far, no issues. I love her so much.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
12 Ts in 1.5 years...color me impressed
Haha don't be. I'm still a beginner, but I have created a very nice beginner starter pack! One dwarf, one arboreal, one fossorial, a couple webbers, a couple fast growers, a couple slow growers, a couple fast movers, a couple slugs, a couple colorful, a couple dull, a mature male, a tiny sling. :rofl: But my most "advanced" is probably my A. genic or the M. robustum so still a beginner starter pack! haha