Good Beginner Arboreal Tarantula?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Psalmos are great! I have three, and for me they have been the easiest T's to keep. I'm unsure though would I recommend psalmo as a first tarantula, they are very fast and kind of bolty in a twitchy way, and the bite is said to be quite bad (they lack the urticating setae, so more potent venom).

I'd personally recommend going with an avic (or C. versicolor) rather than psalmo, if the first arboreal is also the first T.
As long as you don’t mess with a T and leave it alone there shouldn’t be any worries about bites, and bolting away. Even if it bolts it will run to its hide most of the time. I have owned a bunch of arboreals (old world) but never an Avic, I may get an Avic in the future too see what they are about.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll put Tapinauchenius out there, either T. violaceus or T. gigas, especially if you're getting a sling.
I wouldnt recommend these to a new person, too fast.

Hello everyone! I really want to get into tarantulas, as they are really fascinating to watch. I would really like a good arboreal tarantula that's for more beginners like me, any suggestions?
IF you get an Avic as your first T (you're better off with a terrestrial to start)

1. Read the care links myself and @Venom1080 wrote up.
2. Whatever you do, BEFORE, BEFORE you buy it, setup your container, then post here at this thread and let us comment

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I wouldnt recommend these to a new person, too fast.
I keep hearing about this but I have never seen it with my T. violaceus. When I go to open her enclosure she WALKS at a normal pace to her hide. Maybe mine is unusual, but then other than slings I've rarely had any T. bolt on me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep hearing about this but I have never seen it with my T. violaceus. When I go to open her enclosure she WALKS at a normal pace to her hide. Maybe mine is unusual, but then other than slings I've rarely had any T. bolt on me.
You’re the only to report this here. Exceptions to all things in nature.

Widely regarded as the fastest genus on the planet.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hello everyone! I really want to get into tarantulas, as they are really fascinating to watch. I would really like a good arboreal tarantula that's for more beginners like me, any suggestions?
A Caribena versicolor any reasonably priced Avicularia would make a great first arboreal. (I'd recommend getting a juvenile or adult as your first, as the slings are not as tolerant of mistakes.)

Contrary to what many pet stores and care sheets may tell you, these spiders do fine with dry substrate and no misting. They just need good ventilation and access to water.

Psalmopoeus are pretty hardy as well. However, they are faster and generally more defensive than Avics. For these reasons, they can be a bit of a handful for new keepers, especially rehousing a juvenile or adult. I'd recommend them as a second arboreal (or perhaps as a first arboreal for an intermediate keeper).

These two threads (linked earlier) contain helpful information:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup (ideally before adding the tarantula) so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your Avic.

Pami

Arachnopeon
A. Avicularia of course! In my experience, very calm and patient with me. With every molt they get fluffier, and their pink toes and mouth are super cute.
How do you clean up the poop? Do you use a q tip?