Gonna try to breed...

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
Hey All,
We've 3 Tanzanian blue legs that we believe to be full grown. All have molted, and are about 5 inches long. We've fattened them up and are going to place one with the other and hope for the best. Anyone here have any tips or clues as to what to look for in the way of courtship? Have any of you witnessed a male making a sperm cocoon? We're prepared for any attacking, but would like to minimize the mortalities. Ideas please.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Putting them together would be the quickest way to get them to breed if they are interested in breeding and of opposite sexes,, if they're not either, it's also the quickest way to get them killing each other (from what I've heard).

Have you thought about trying the swapping method? Basically, this is when you rotate the pedes through each others tanks. This way, there's only one pede in each enclosure at a time. The theory is that a male will pick up a females scent and lay a spermatophore when they can't find her, then, when you put the female back in the tank, she will find the spermatophore and impregnate herself. I believe that Tim Del Rosario has had success with this method.

Scott

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
Thanks Scott,
No, I haven't tried that method, but it sounds like the most careful one with regard to possible death instead of mating. We'll give it a try and get back with you on anything special.