Goliathus - it has happened !!

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok folks, after spending the past two years working on this, I just got off of the phone with the USDA/APHIS ...

Three of the five species of Goliathus now no longer require permits!! This is not one of those shady things you hear about where you are not sure if it is really true or legal. NO PERMITS to own or ship between states: Goliathus goliatus, Goliathus cacicus and Goliathus regius

It's not 100% the list that I was hoping for, G.c. and G.r. are VERY hard to find, but at least for now we have something huge and exotic to work with - and hopefully we will be allowed the other two in the future.

Why? This change came about for two main reasons: the larvae will starve if not given an all-protien diet -and- the adults do not eat plants at any time, They feed on tree sap but only on sap runs that were created by other creatures and can not start a sap run themselves.

They said: for now, until everyone catches up to the idea, you should submit for a PPQ permit and you will be sent an official letter giving you clearance. I received an early version of this letter a while ago and already have some breeding.

I have been working with beetles for over 17 years, and never thought we would see this day. This is huge for our hobby!

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Steven Barney
BeetleSource.com
Beetle-Experience.com

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You will still need an import permit to import directly from overseas, and the individual states can still cause us trouble, but as far as the APHIS is concerned we can breed, sell and ship as much as we want!

This finally went through after two years of me calling, emailing and sending articles about rearing and life cycles...

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Oh hell yes!! I would do it, where I apply for a permit to import goliath beetles?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Awesome! I hope this happens with a majority of flower/stag/rhino/long armed beetles as well.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you provide us with some legal documents please?

Maybe your transcripts from APHIS as well. It would be nice to see.

Congratulations on your well earned victory.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can you provide us with some legal documents please?

Maybe your transcripts from APHIS as well. It would be nice to see.

Congratulations on your well earned victory.
That was going to be my next question as well.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure none of the other Cetonids will get clearance, unless they have a life cycle almost identical to Goliathus. They won't want another "Japanese Beetle" problem on their hands.

Stags might work, but we will see. The only things I would bet on being next are possibly the other two Goliathus then maybe some closely related species. I've started trying to gather documentation on G.o. and G.a. - we'll see.

As far as documentation, this is a copy/paste from one of the recent emails: "I am issuing letters of "no permit required" for Goliathus spp. Imports would need to come without any soil materials." This won't really hold any weight though, and my last conversation with them was an hour long phone call.

Anyone who wants to get them now should submit for a PPQ permit. You will be sent an official letter giving you clearance that has your name and address on it. This will not come with any containment procedures or inspections of your home - they will just send you a letter stating that APHIS/PPQ no longer requires permits for these three species. I've just re-submitted for an updated clearance letter.

You may also want to check with whoever your state Department of Agriculture - Quarantine Programs administrator is. Individual states may not want them.

Anyone who wants help submitting for clearance let me know.

Anyone who does not want to go through the permitting procedure can wait until everyone is caught up with the new ruling and this has become normal. At some point we won't need these clearance letters any more and Goliath beetles will be imported and sold just like the exotic tarantulas or scorpions are now. I'm sure it won't be long before people start selling them - I'm hoping to have G.g. larvae available in a few months.

Hope this helps - post more questions...

Steven

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
im stoked because they're virtually identical to cotinis in care, except the larvae need more protein. a billion times easier than rhinos.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yes, they need more attention but are less difficult than rhinos.
Man, now I really want some! Do they need rotten wood at all? Will you have some larvae available eventually? I only ask because if I do end up getting some, I'd rather not import...

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will eat a small amount of substrate when they first hatch but after that you can keep them in almost anything. I was using dirt at first, then switched to coco fiber. You do have to have some good substrate to collect eggs from the females though - standard Cetonid / Rhino type substrate.

I am planning on having some available in a few months.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
They will eat a small amount of substrate when they first hatch but after that you can keep them in almost anything. I was using dirt at first, then switched to coco fiber. You do have to have some good substrate to collect eggs from the females though - standard Cetonid / Rhino type substrate.

I am planning on having some available in a few months.
Wow, really? Coconut fiber? Would have never guessed lol! So they just eat dog food and maybe live prey for most of their larval lifespans?
Would fermented Traeger sawdust work alone for the females to oviposit in, or do crumbled leaves need to be added as well? Also, how large of an enclosure do the adults need, any special requirements for them? Sorry for all the questions, just excited about the possibility of keeping these, and thus would like to learn everything I can about them! :D

Awesome, glad to hear it! :) How much do larvae usually go for?

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Any more care information on them? I am jumping on the boat too.... quick lets get a bunch of them before they get regulated by CITES, like with the emperor scorpions (pandinus imperator)

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hisserdude:
Yes, they eat only high protein food for 99% of their larval stage.
Yes, fermented sawdust alone should work to collect eggs. I added some crushed and whole hardwood leaves but not sure if it was necessary. Don't keep the substrate too moist.
For an enclosure, I used a 10 or 12 gallon plastic tote (would have to check on the size) and filled it over half way with substrate.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't forget, even though these are not regulated in the US any more, imports would still need a FWS import license