Goliath Tarantula Question

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
My goliath tarantula has recently been walking around without using it's two hind legs. They are curved in on top of the abdomen. The "T" also appears to have a lack of energy at times. Humidity and Temp are right. Could this be a sign of pre-molt?

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
It was in a 25 gallon aquarium, fake plants, large half log hide out, coconut fiber substrate over sand which helped with the humidity. I just transfered him/her to a 10 gallon, with coconut fiber substrate and the same log hide away. I just noticed the legs doing that two days ago.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sand will not help you much with humidity, use peat instead. Water evapurates easier from peat than from sand witch seems to isolate the water instead of evaporate it.

Good luck.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wish i could help you with that T. sp "burgundy" but i cant.

Good luck with it.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The legs must be broken, at the Tibia-Metatarsus .

Feed her well, keep her moist and warm, dont disturb her at all and a molt shouldt take care of it.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is it eating? if so i would feed it up and hope for a molt.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Has she tried to climb the sides of the cage before? If the legs are infact broken She must have fallen and landed on her legs wrong..

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
She has tried to climb before...I'm going to throw some meal worms in there and see what happens..thanks guys also I have a pink toe spiderling that is about an inch with legspan included. I have in in a small exo terra cage. Should I relocate her to a 1 gallon aquarium for now and place my asian chevron in the exo. I'll post pics so you can see. Thanks for all your help.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
First pic Asian Chevron habitat she has about a 3.5" leg span

Second of course is the spiderlings habitat

Last edited:

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
These spiders are addictive. I've only had the spiderling about a week now. She managed to ecape, so I kept an eye out for her on the ceilings and in corners. I found her two days after her escape on the wall in the laundry room...lol

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If that's a haplo in that first of two pictures, I'd recommend several more inches of moister substrate.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You must tripple the depth of the substrate. Dont you know they are deep burrowers?

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
You must tripple the depth of the substrate. Dont you know they are deep burrowers?
Hey! bud! first things first add some substrate and make some part of it a little moist! She looks in a bad shape! try turning her enclosure into a icu type enclosure! just to help her untill the molt!
It looks like it might be wild cought! or it might just not have been well looked after!? i would also mut it aside from your other t,s until she is ok!

'Fulk' seems to have some knowledge on Theraphosa! im sure he wouldnt mind giveing some input if you need!

Sweet! take care!

Last edited: