Goliath birdeater Theraphosa stirmi

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
My Goliath (stirmi) used to eat everyday or every other day
Now it stays in its cave /burrow /hide and refuses to eat or drink and has done this for nearly 4 month now I know it might be it might be premoult behaviour but could it be something else can they get stressed i keep
Him at room temperature which at worst gets to about 15 degrees at night and I keep him/her humid but again not too much as it is not as dependent on humidity as the blondi ...any thoughts ??? Or am I doing something wrong temp or humidity ? Or is it just in premolt ....it’s stressing me out feels like forever if it is a molt

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well I have no idea how big your Theraphosa is, but as a general rule of thumb no tarnatula needs or should be fed everyday or every other day, all that accomplishes is a T that gets overly plump fast and then goes on food strike and hides away for an extended period of time until it molts, this sounds like what is going on here.

The Pet Guy

Arachnopeon
Generally I feed my T. once a week. If it refuses the food, I wait at least 3 days before offering again.

Jzornes29

Arachnopeon
I thought T. Blondi was the Goliath not Stirmi?

Edit: im dumb nvm stirmi is burgandy goliath

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
Well I have no idea how big your Theraphosa is, but as a general rule of thumb no tarnatula needs or should be fed everyday or every other day, all that accomplishes is a T that gets overly plump fast and then goes on food strike and hides away for an extended period of time until it molts, this sounds like what is going on here.
It is around 9 to 10 cm so young juvenile for this species I’m guessing

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
[/QUOTE
His abdomen looked ready to explode but I faught that is normal in stirmi

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is around 9 to 10 cm so young juvenile for this species I’m guessing
Yeah you are feeding waaaaay too much. Try to learn to feed off abdomen size after the molt, and not get it overly plump overly fast, schedules only kinda work but maybe start at once every 1-2weeks depending on prey size, keeping the addomen a good size throughout the molt cycle.

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
Yeah you are feeding waaaaay too much. Try to learn to feed off abdomen size after the molt, and not get it overly plump overly fast, schedules only kinda work but maybe start at once every 1-2weeks depending on prey size, keeping the addomen a good size throughout the molt cycle.
So he won’t eat again until after he has molted now ?

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I don’t have any experience with these species but it seems like your T had burrowed up until it actually gets hungry again. Daily/every other day is quite a lot of feeding even for a juvenile T. I suggest exercising some patience and wait and see what happens. Most likely it will emerge when ready and probably molt in the mean time. Doesn’t sound like much else is wrong.

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
He has borrowed deep but still tends to wait at his entrance which is normal for this species I know this species is a really hungry eater and with other species I keep they don’t take the food if they ain’t hungry but the Goliath just ate and ate and ate until his abdomen was for ready to burst after he first rejected the food I figured he was full but it’s been nearly 5 month and he still ain’t eating and he still ain’t molting although he looks healthy I didn’t know this species could go on food strike not like other species do for up to a year I just hope he molts soon as it’s good to watch him out and about and eating but I will feed him much less often now I know

yaabritish

Arachnopeon
He has borrowed deep but still tends to wait at his entrance which is normal for this species I know this species is a really hungry eater and with other species I keep they don’t take the food if they ain’t hungry but the Goliath just ate and ate and ate until his abdomen was for ready to burst after he first rejected the food I figured he was full but it’s been nearly 5 month and he still ain’t eating and he still ain’t molting although he looks healthy I didn’t know this species could go on food strike not like other species do for up to a year I just hope he molts soon as it’s good to watch him out and about and eating but I will feed him much less often now I know
Also I have raised his temperature at night to 18 degrees so it doesn’t drop to 15 no more just in the hope it helps

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Wait a few days after he molts before feeding (or check that his fangs have fully darkened), if the fangs are still soft following the molt he could attempt to impale the prey and deform his fangs.