Golden orb australia

Georgina

Arachnopeon
Hi. I have joined the forum as I have a large "pet" golden orb in my carport. Her web is about three feet across and she has a egg nest in the rafters glowing gold. Sadly yestesteday afternoon she dropped from her web. Twice I tried to put her back on and twice more she fell. I placed her in coconut shell to try to make her more comfortable. She has been here only a few weeks. I read they live to a year old. Do you think she is dying? Georgina

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi. I have joined the forum as I have a large "pet" golden orb in my carport. Her web is about three feet across and she has a egg nest in the rafters glowing gold. Sadly yestesteday afternoon she dropped from her web. Twice I tried to put her back on and twice more she fell. I placed her in coconut shell to try to make her more comfortable. She has been here only a few weeks. I read they live to a year old. Do you think she is dying? Georgina
Sadly, yes - she probably is dying. Most orb weaver spiders die shortly after laying their eggs. On the plus side, when the egg sac hatches out, you will have a bunch of lovely new spiders. While the majority of them will disperse, with a little luck, one of them will find your carport (or nearby shrubs or trees) a suitable spot to build its own web and you will be able to watch it grow.

If the mother is still alive, you could try offering a drop or two of water - but it isn't likely to make much difference. She has already lived a full life and is now at her end. Still, kudos to you for trying to help her and make her comfortable!

Georgina

Arachnopeon
Thanks, yes she died. It took a long time ...... her golden orb nest is beautiful though. Cheers Georgina