Going to Southern Mexico for a while....

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I have. I have some concerns about that, but it may be my best option coming up. Do you know when he works up there? Is it during the summer? I still have to do some collecting this spring or summer, but after that, I could go up there. I'm thinking about going up there for some other reasons anyway. Plus it's one of two states I haven't been to yet.
He is there right now, he went up in August after taking his last course at community college in working on motors. It is about to start one of the big times of the year, and he is actually pretty annoyed as his family wants him to come and clean out their grandmas house rather than continue working, even though he now makes more than the rest of his family.

I think he said you can basically go up whenever; they always need workers in processing plants, which is part of what he did. A large portion of his work came from a day working center where they take down your name and number and companies hire in order on the list.

Once he started making money, he was able to move into a co-op of workers.

He isn't on the mainland, but a smaller island; he made some videos about it, look up the user 'Mistervirtue' on youtube. I had a link to his channel, but then I realized he has quite the mouth on him and pulled it.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome. I might just head that way after my spring hunt if I don't have any luck where I'm heading. Good pay, middle of nowhere.. Sounds perfect. I need to find out if I would qualify to get hired up there though. I basically have no references, no job history, and basically don't exist anywhere on paper. :eek:

That usually makes it a bit tough. I've got a passport and camping gear, and that's about it. My application will be my name and phone number if my service works there. :D

I'm still hoping I get lucky this winter though. I'd rather spend the next year traveling and taking breaks on the beach, not the hatch deck! :p

The work doesn't look too bad. Hard, but not what I expected. I've always heard about people working slime lines, which is disgusting and I'd loose a finger or two. I like my fingers. I can throw boxes all day long though.

Thanks for the heads up, that's pretty cool.

Holy Cow! I just looked at flights there from anchorage... It's cheaper to fly to Dubai From Texas! wow.

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He did break one of his toes doing the work. He walked it off.

Also, you don't need a resume other than "Can work long periods of time" and "Can lift 70+ pounds of weight"

Flights are the big cost, I think he took a flight into a different city, and a ferry to Anchorage because it was cheaper (and a Greyhound to Oregon.)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd hitch to anchorage. The cheapest I've found is 500 one way to cold bay. That's still a lot of flow. We'll see how this winter goes!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm heading out in the morning. Going to NorCal to pan for gold and platinum. Wish me luck! If I find much at all, then I can go to Mexico and play with scorpions for a while.

Again, I will miss you all. See ya all on the flipside. :) ~ryan

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As for Veracruz, I recently received some very exact location of an undescribed and unphotographed Avicularia specie.
~ryan
Very interesting.
I do know there was no arboreal tarantula known to Mexico other than the recently found Psalmopoeus sp. (which has been dubbed victorii).
An Avicularia would be a fantastic find!

Oh, yes ,funny, the so called P. victorii also hails from Veracruz ;-)

OR