Going to Southern Mexico for a while....

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Corwin. You are right. I came to the same conclusion and have decided to wait at least a few weeks. The place I was going to go first is having some problems, and I was able to make some arrangements here to stay longer and hopefully make some extra money.

It doesn't really matter as far as the scorpions go. Where I'm going the weather will be the same now and next month. I also think I will be able to lighten my load and have much better info on where to go.

Right now, I'm planning on focusing on the Diplocentrus of Chiapas, Oaxaca, Yucatan, and Quintana Roo. I am also going to attempt to find and photograph some of the eyeless troglodytic Typhlochactidae. In particular, Typhlochactas mitchelli.

Should be a better trip if I wait. Then I can worry about scorpions instead of scrounging for food. yeah.

Peace, r

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dont forget to bring back some nice live souvenirs ;)
Ha! Wouldn't that be nice? I could introduce 200 new species into the hobby by the spring. :eek:

Too bad it would be so illegal! :wall: It doesn't make any sense to me. I could take 10 of each species and not hurt the populations at all. Well, I wouldn't. But if it was legal, then others would go down there and take everything they could grab, which I guess is why it is illegal. I don't want to go to jail in Mexico. That doesn't sound like fun for me.

So I will only be bringing back pictures. :(

The only hope I have is that while studying the sub 1cm T. mitchelli, a couple decide they like the smell of my dirty socks, and hitch a ride in my backpack. :}

Just kidding. Because I don't think border patrol would believe me! :D
Ah well, maybe someday I can change the laws or get a permit somehow. :?

At least you will see some good pics! :p

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To make this thread on topic... they have a scorpion mask as well there!

Eddy

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah it is it sucks but thats the rules just be careful out there

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To make this thread on topic... they have a scorpion mask as well there!
Eddy
What what what?!?!?! I've been thinking for a long time how to make a nice one with leather, but I can't come up with any good ideas. Maybe that is the lead I need. Do you happen to have any pictures of it?

yeah it is it sucks but thats the rules just be careful out there
Yep. I think you about summed it up, it stinks. :mad:

Well, I am still leaving soon, but as I read more and more, I am questioning going to Mexico at all right now. The place I want to go first down south, apparently is no less dangerous than the border. I don't want to go through government checkpoints, then rebel and criminal checkpoints broke. I don't want to run out of money down there either. I could probably hustle up enough to eat, but I don't want to take money from tourists that they would spend on poor kids living there.

So now I am thinking I will spend the winter in the southwest U.S. mining Fluorescing minerals and rocks. Sell them at the gem shows in Quartzite and Tucson, then hopefully have plenty of money to go MX and not worry about anything. Plus, the weather will be better for looking at arachnids in the early spring anyway. After a few months, I will come back to the U.S. and do some scorpion collecting and some more mining. Then, who knows?

If anyone has any special requests for U.S. species, feel free to drop me a line, I'll be all over the SW US this spring. For now though, I have a ton of reading to do. :p

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in Xalapa, Veracruz and hike often in Puebla and Oaxaca. I don't understand why it wouldn't be safe, I feel more safe in Mexico then in my home country the Netherlands.

If you have any questions regarding Mexico, I might be able to help. And I might be able to make some time if you come to Xalapa.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live in Xalapa, Veracruz and hike often in Puebla and Oaxaca. I don't understand why it wouldn't be safe, I feel more safe in Mexico then in my home country the Netherlands.

If you have any questions regarding Mexico, I might be able to help. And I might be able to make some time if you come to Xalapa.
Hey John,

I agree that parts of Mexico are safer than much of the U.S. I live in New Orleans right now, and our murder rate is higher than all but a couple small border cities in the north of MX.

My trip is evolving right now. But many of the places I want to go are some of the most dangerous in MX right now, according to information I am getting. One area I want to go is in the North, and apparently is very dangerous due to drug gang turf wars. Many people living in the towns have left, and many others are dead.

Another place I really want to go is Chiapas. According to the guide books I am reading, and some other sources I am in contact with, there is also a lot of danger there. This is due to banditry associated with poverty, and also drug activity. I think I will be safe, but I also want to have money to pay bribes when neccesary. I don't want to be killed or jailed because I can't pay $5! Maybe these fears are over blown, but things do happen. I want to be in a good position when I go.

As for Veracruz, I recently received some very exact location of an undescribed and unphotographed Avicularia specie. Maybe that would be a good trip for us to go on? I would love to have some good knowledgeable company. My knowledge of tarantulas is severely lacking, and I'm no expert in scorpions either! ;)

I will be sure to write to you more before I leave. My mind is full right now, but I will certainly have some questions for you! The only one I can think of right now is this:

If I am only paying for food, how much would I need per day to eat, if I am eating cheap food? Like bare minimum? I eat a lot in volume, but I can eat cheap food and be happy. I plan on mostly eating rice and beans, and maybe some fruit and vegetables from roadside stands and grocery stores.

Thank you very much! :) ~ryan

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Isn't Chiapas bascially a rebel state? I thought there was an armed rebellion there in the mid 90s that still controls the major cities in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation

(I've seen interviews with them, they don't seem like bad guys, but they would probably be worried to see an American in the area.)
It was Harlock. But Zapatista controlled territory is a very small part of Chiapas now. The rebellion has been over for a decade. There are still lots of troops and police there, but they are mostly there for drug runners now.

They aren't bad guys. They just want to be treated fairly. As long as you act appropriately, (like not taking pictures of them without permission), they are not a problem, especially for someone like me. I am not worried about them at all.

My concern is with the police, drug runners, and some criminals who say they are Zapatistas but are not. They look and act like them, but they are just looking to extort money from who ever they can. They are just poor criminals who use the Zapatistas rebellion as cover for their extortion.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly,I would stay the heck away from northern Mexico these days,especially Juarez and the towns in that area...The crap going on down there is in our news almost daily,and is pretty brutal. We saw something on the news last night saying there were 30K murders in the past 4 years alone(between Juarez and the other border cities with cartel issues).If you go,be very cautious,and consider taking a weapon if you own one/believe in them.I know not everyone does.Not trying to be a jerk,but a lot of the stuff going on down there these days is not even mentioned in the news. The desert areas of SE Az are pretty rough as well( from Tuscon to Douglas)Lots of odd stuff /folkks roaming around out there pretty well armed.... Be safe,travel with others,and keep a close eye on your surroundings..........Brett

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Honestly,I would stay the heck away from northern Mexico these days,especially Juarez and the towns in that area...The crap going on down there is in our news almost daily,and is pretty brutal. We saw something on the news last night saying there were 30K murders in the past 4 years alone(between Juarez and the other border cities with cartel issues).If you go,be very cautious,and consider taking a weapon if you own one/believe in them.I know not everyone does.Not trying to be a jerk,but a lot of the stuff going on down there these days is not even mentioned in the news. The desert areas of SE Az are pretty rough as well( from Tuscon to Douglas)Lots of odd stuff /folkks roaming around out there pretty well armed.... Be safe,travel with others,and keep a close eye on your surroundings..........Brett
Thanks for you input Brett. I read the news everyday. I am well aware of the conditions in the border towns. It is very scary. Though I will say most of the murders involve people involved in the drug trade, politicians, journalists, etc. There are kidnappings and random murders though. But that happens in New Orleans too.

The only "weapon" I will travel with is a crenulated bezeled flashlight, and a pair of scissors or pocket knife. Anyone who is really dangerous, I will not be able to outgun. I will have to rely on my street smarts, wit, and communication ability for them. That is usually the best weapon anyway.

I will keep a close eye on my surroundings as well, but I travel alone, with a few exceptions. For example, I would love to take a short trip with John. And I have a few friends in MX who would like to go with me on little trips as well. But for the most part, it will be me and my backpack.

A little faith and common sense should get me through. And if it doesn't, well, the only thing we are promised at birth is death. We all have our time. I for one will not bunker down in my house scared of living. I will live, and then I will die. Otherwise, I might as well be dead anyway. :p

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Skimmed fast a bit.

As for cheap meals: the cheapest ones you can buy in restaurants are the so called economico ones and are about 25 pesos (about 2 USD). The meals are small but come with soup, followed by rice/beans with some meat (small), and hardly any vegetables, and often a small desert (jelly). We normally tip around 10-15% so for 2.20 USD you can have a meal that's ok. The side of the road stands are most likely cheaper, so I would get breakfast there. I think you can get something basic for around 1.50 USD, less if you just take something like a "torta" (around 12 MXN).

If you go around April - July you might be able to pick your own fruit. In my experience people have no problem if you just pick a mango or two from their trees. And picking up fallen fruit is even less of a problem.

I have been invited several times to houses of people during hikes (but since we were hiking I had to decline). I really recommend to learn some Spanish. My wife is Mexican, and that really makes quite a difference {D Some people do speak some English, and really make an effort to communicate.

Anyway, I have only once had a problem during a hike: someone got angry since we walked between his coffee plants. OK, and one time when looking for C. orizaba an older lady came to us with a machete in her hand (not in an aggressive way but my wife warned me to be careful). She just was curious asked us what we were doing, and when we explained that I was taking photos of animals, and looking for scorpions she told us she had seen one that morning (and about 30 minutes alter I found a gravid female and male :-D).

Most of the times we hike near small towns. We often take a bus from a small city (where we stay, e.g. Tehuacan) to a small town (or a taxi if it's more convenient), hike near the town, and return to "base camp" in the evening.

As for weapons: I strongly recommend not to take any. It's as far as I know (and I might be wrong) illegal to have a gun in Mexico (well, maybe you can get a permit). And like Nomad already wrote if you're not that experienced with shooting at people it's not very helpful (or worse: you might end up killed for your gun...).

As for Chiapas: have hiked there twice, once near Puerto Madero, once near Tapachula (been in Guatamala twice for visa related reasons ;-) ). In Chiapas I had my first (and if I recall correctly only) encounter with corruption: a minibus we were in was halted and the driver had to pay money for each passenger (and extra for me, he was complaining afterwards about that :) ) to a police officer that halted us. But other than that I've not seen weird stuff.

Learn Spanish while you can before you go. Even if you can speak a few sentences it's much easier to get around and you can ask local people if the area is sound for walking, etc. While in Mexico try to learn as fast as possible to get a good feel for prices. While rare (in my experience) some people do overcharge. And not just because you're a foreigner, they do it with non-local country people as well. Ask local people for rates of taxi trips if you want to take one. We often use a taxi to get to remote towns (bus takes too much time). And now and then we get a lift back by car. I once sat on top of a mountain of sand loaded on a truck while my wife, mother and daughter sat next to the driver. The road was a bad dirt road so I was going like {D

I just recalled this story: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/06/12/police-encounters.html We were walking in an area that was often used by local youth to misbehave (taking drugs/alcohol, we heard), and a few people had reported a "tall americano" with a Mexican female and a child walking in a deserted area to the police, so they came to investigate what was going on. Anyway, the police was very friendly and we had no problems. But that might also have had a lot to do with having a Mexican wife ;-).

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Take me. I'll translate.
Really? If I have the money to pay your way, I certainly will. I can't promise anything right now though, it really will depend on how well I do with the rock collecting and sales.

Of course, If I don't have the cash, you are more than welcome to come anyway. I plan on guerilla camping the whole way, whether I have money or not. If you can handle that and hitching, hiking in the deserts and jungles, etc., then by all means, come on! :D

I've got an extra hammock and ropes. All you would need is a light weight sleeping bag or emergency blanket, and the ability to carry tons of water and a little food. Heck, I've even got an extra headlamp and A49 black light for you!

Do you have a passport? And when are you free this spring/summer?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to do field anesthesia? The reason I'm asking for those of you that can't figure it out:

I want to be able to do a full description of species in the field. But would obviously have trouble doing so on an aware, live, and kicking scorpion.

Any thoughts? This would be a new experience for me, but I think I can handle it. (Oh, and I know I will need magnification, but how much? 30x, 60x?)