Going spider hunting in North Texas tomorrow.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
What are species that do well in captivity? I came across some black widows, wolf spiders, a Parsons spider, orbweavers, false widows and a nursery spider. Which ones can I take home and keep in am Amac box??

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't take the parsons spider or any orb weavers back, the rest would be good

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Do they not do well in captivity, Amac boxes or both? Thanks for your input.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Do they not do well in captivity, Amac boxes or both? Thanks for your input.
Orbweavers need a huge amount of space for their webs. I've heard quite a few keepers say that they just let them build a web in the corner of their room instead of trying to keep it in a container.

I wouldn't take the parsons spider or any orb weavers back, the rest would be good
Love the name, man. Huge Goji fanatic as well. :)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Orbweavers need a huge amount of space for their webs. I've heard quite a few keepers say that they just let them build a web in the corner of their room instead of trying to keep it in a container.
Just let the spider loose in the room?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Put it in a place where it can make a Web easily, like on a fake plant or something.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
Black widows can be pretty scary to keep. I had one and she kept spinning her web on the door to the cage. She was also a voracious eatter. So every time the door would open she would try getting whatever was moving her web. Occasionally she would get her legs out the door and I couldn't close it fully until she would move. So if there would be a solution to it webbing the cage door I would keep one again, but for now I am sticking to a more docile spider species. Do they have tarantulas in Northern Texas? They are fairly easy to find if you can locate their burrow and. CAREFULLY excavate it. Also pretty easy to keep.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Black widows can be pretty scary to keep. I had one and she kept spinning her web on the door to the cage. She was also a voracious eatter. So every time the door would open she would try getting whatever was moving her web. Occasionally she would get her legs out the door and I couldn't close it fully until she would move. So if there would be a solution to it webbing the cage door I would keep one again, but for now I am sticking to a more docile spider species. Do they have tarantulas in Northern Texas? They are fairly easy to find if you can locate their burrow and. CAREFULLY excavate it. Also pretty easy to keep.
IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1456.JPG You can cut the bottom half inch off a 36 oz. Deli cup and use a second one as an actual bottom. Lets the widow make her web at the top, and you can get at the bottom to feed her. Top image is a finished one, bottom image the cup was left upside down to let her establish a web before fliping it right side up.
Edit: sorry, forgot this was a dead thread.

AntlerAlchemist

Arachnosquire
View attachment 274201 View attachment 274202 You can cut the bottom half inch off a 36 oz. Deli cup and use a second one as an actual bottom. Lets the widow make her web at the top, and you can get at the bottom to feed her. Top image is a finished one, bottom image the cup was left upside down to let her establish a web before fliping it right side up.
Edit: sorry, forgot this was a dead thread.
Dead thread or not, that is a pretty clever idea!