Going out of town

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone.. I just got a little worried because these guys are all I got.
Naaa.. don't be sorry at all..

It's what we do for our 8 legged buddies but once you get some time under your belt you'll see how lax you'll get in worrying about them; honestly you will.

At first nearly everyone worries about them and some to the point of obsessiveness (I did). You want to ensure you're doing the the best for them and taking out any potential risk or problem. It's totally normal and it's a good thing. If you didn't care as much as you did you would end up learning as much as you will. Desire NOT to fail urges you on to reading up more and more to the point you've got months and now a year under your belt. You'll look back and wonder why you spent all that time fussing :)

Again, nearly everyone does but at the same time you've got to trust in others who've gone through it and has that time under their belt because why fuss and muss when you can simply enjoy them more?

They will be fine and you'll next have this week done and the courage now to tell others as we've told you.

Cheers mate,

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh for sure.. I've had T's over the years.. This is just the first time I'm going in away while having tarantulas again.. I'm feeding them now and going to refill their water dishes before I bounce.. and I think that'll be good

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh for sure.. I've had T's over the years.. This is just the first time I'm going in away while having tarantulas again.. I'm feeding them now and going to refill their water dishes before I bounce.. and I think that'll be good
Be safe and chat ya in a week :)

peachlover

Arachnopeon
A week? For a non-slings thats nothing ... Got mine on 4 months diet with just a few times moisturing the substrate. Don't worry even with no water at all stone dry soil and no food they will be fine for longer than a week (if its not extremely hot)

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Came back, They're doin fine. I was kind of hoping my G. Rosea would molt when I was gone but still no dice

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome back!
I'm glad your babies are doing well.
:D

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
betcha they wer all chillin in the same they wer when you left;)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could leave for 2 weeks with no water dishes and be fine.
Some of my T's don't have water dishes to begin with, and I wouldn't hesitate to leave for 2 weeks.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that T's get most of their water through their prey. I just like to keep water dishes in there because of not having reliable transportation, I can't make it to the pet store on a regular basis.. They still eat well...

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You could leave for 2 weeks with no water dishes and be fine.
Some of my T's don't have water dishes to begin with, and I wouldn't hesitate to leave for 2 weeks.
That's just fine, nothing wrong with having water dishes and erring in favor of the T. A lot of people give all their T's water dishes, and don't have a reference point for keeping T's without. Especially people just beginning in the hobby, coming here where lots of people repeat what's been said about the necessity of giving all your T's water dishes. I kept all T's without dishes for years and years, so I know better from direct experience. There was no Arachnoboards when I started out..no place to glean misleading info (or good info for that matter). I was told by a dealer with long experience that they get all they need from their prey, so that's how I did it...for more than 20 years. I would mist certain species like avics and pokeys and then though...

I give some individuals water dishes nowadays as a "just in case" measure. It's easy, so no reason not to really. While raising say pokeys though, where I can't safely get a water dish in and out, I don't worry about it. They grow, live long and thrive.

The arbitrary "give them a water dish after they reach 3" is completely arbitrary and meaningless. If anything a sling will desicate easier than an adult, so a more meaningful arbitrary rule would be "give them a water dish until they reach 3" :) Of course the reason for the 3" mark is safety, drowning concerns. The point though is that if they didn't need the water as a sling, they sure as hell don't need it an adult with even more body mass.

Cheers

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've even heard some rumors that T's legs can rot from standing in water dishes too long..

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I haven't ever read that. A T's exoskeleton is waterproof, so I am unsure how that would ever happen. :?
For sure, When I was doing info on a Lasiodora Striatipes I came across that piece of info and it stifled me..

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True.. but Idk if I'd wanna take that risk
There is no risk with the T's that you have. Both are from some of the driest climates on earth. they will be FINE for a week with no food/water/etc.......

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's just fine, nothing wrong with having water dishes and erring in favor of the T. A lot of people give all their T's water dishes, and don't have a reference point for keeping T's without. Especially people just beginning in the hobby, coming here where lots of people repeat what's been said about the necessity of giving all your T's water dishes. I kept all T's without dishes for years and years, so I know better from direct experience. There was no Arachnoboards when I started out..no place to glean misleading info (or good info for that matter). I was told by a dealer with long experience that they get all they need from their prey, so that's how I did it...for more than 20 years. I would mist certain species like avics and pokeys and then though...

I give some individuals water dishes nowadays as a "just in case" measure. It's easy, so no reason not to really. While raising say pokeys though, where I can't safely get a water dish in and out, I don't worry about it. They grow, live long and thrive.

The arbitrary "give them a water dish after they reach 3" is completely arbitrary and meaningless. If anything a sling will desicate easier than an adult, so a more meaningful arbitrary rule would be "give them a water dish until they reach 3" :) Of course the reason for the 3" mark is safety, drowning concerns. The point though is that if they didn't need the water as a sling, they sure as hell don't need it an adult with even more body mass.

Cheers
Just wanted to say that this is a GREAT post,Jim,and I agree %1000000000

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is no risk with the T's that you have. Both are from some of the driest climates on earth. they will be FINE for a week with no food/water/etc.......
Like I said earlier before I left.. They're my kids man and I just got a little worried about them..lol I'm just a worrier and I'm still working on that

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like I said earlier before I left.. They're my kids man and I just got a little worried about them..lol I'm just a worrier and I'm still working on that
Believe me,I did NOT read all three pages.LOL.Stop worrying! ;)