Going on 8 weeks! A. avicularia eggsac

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This coming sunday will be 8 weeks since my female produced an eggsac. She's been faithfully guarding it, never putting it down for the entire time. My question is when can I expect the spiderlings to emerge? I'm starting to get antsy and would like to have all the vials prepared in advance, so that when I seperate them, I just have to put them in their new homes.
Also, does anyone have a clue as to how many spiderlings can possibly be in the eggsac.
Thanks!
Ralph

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ralph-

Here is my experience:

I pulled the sac from the female after 45 days and slit it. There were very dark "eggs with legs" inside that were obviously preparing to molt into "spiderlings". All molted within 1 week of slitting the sac. My small female produced 65 spiderlings for me.

If you want to you can go ahead and pull the sac and slit it, at 8 weeks of incubation the babies inside should be just about ready to come out, or you can just let nature take its course and leave the sac with the mom, either way I would guess that you are going to have quite a few pink toe slings in the next few days! Post pics and let us know how things go for you!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also pull it and slit it now! Congrats with the patience and all :)

Either way, please post pics and let us know!!

Good luck and a (pending) Congrats !!!!
peace
dave

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
congrats! i have about 75-80 jet black eggs with legs myself, patiently waiting for them to go first instar. i pulled the sac at 40 days and opened it. let us know how it goes.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
congrats!
It took approx 90 days from making the eggsac, to my A versi slings to molt into 2nd instar (the ones that now look like 'real spiders')
I should think A avic would be similiar.
I pulled the sac at 30 days, found embryos, and at 60 days they molted into 1st instar 'eggs with legs'.
good luck!
Holley

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
I'm probably going to pull the sac this weekend. Sunday is exactly 8 weeks, so they should be sufficiently along.
I'll keep you all posted and provide pics if possible.
Ralph

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The one A. avic. eggsack I had, I let the mama do her thing the entire way. At about 62 days I had little slings all inside her web she created to lay her eggsack. So if it has been 8 weeks, you should see them appear any day if you leave them to do it, or now if you do it for them. Congrats=D

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
FryLock said:
LOL Versus if there not out the sac by now there real slow coach's :D
haha...hey fry! i juz wanna check it out as i search through those old posts... :D :D

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Spiderlings are doing fine. I ended up with a total of 113 of which I've still got 73 left (sold 40 to local petshops). They are molting into 3rd instar and and anywhere between .75 and 1 inch.
Good looking spiderlings and easy to keep.
I'm planning on offering them for sale in the classifieds after this round of molts.
Thanks for asking!
Ralph

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rknralf said:
Spiderlings are doing fine. I ended up with a total of 113 of which I've still got 73 left (sold 40 to local petshops). They are molting into 3rd instar and and anywhere between .75 and 1 inch.
Good looking spiderlings and easy to keep.
I'm planning on offering them for sale in the classifieds after this round of molts.
Thanks for asking!
Ralph
no prob! :D