God I Love my Job!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so story of the day, kinda boring nothing going on at the pet shop, and then all of a sudden my coworker comes up to me and says "hey man what kinda spider is this" i look and whata u know! OMG! i ask him where it came from and a guy comes up behind him and says "well i was unpacking bananas at meijer's produce center and this little guy came running along my box, so i grabbed a deli and brought it over here to find out what it was"...He's now sitting in a KK inside my heavily secured 20 long tank as my new pet lmao, and hes such a little beauty. i will keep updates and let everyone know how he and i are getting along.

Voorhees.... my brand new Brazilian wandering Spider.

PS i know its a wandering spider but is there an exact species for this little guy...

Last edited:

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
haha, update already, he kicked a cricket LITERALLY kicked one, climbed up the top the KK nd is now cleaning himself...im so happy no one killed him in the store. and im so glad no one got bit in the store too lol.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
nice find :clap: wish i could find stuff like that :rolleyes:

female or male? i can't make out the palps at all.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice find :clap: wish i could find stuff like that :rolleyes:

female or male? i can't make out the palps at all.
i believe male, but its not sexually mature cuz the palps are small, and i KNOW that sexing them ventrally may be totally wrong but it has a very male looking mound. if i can get shots of the palps or the vent i will post, but im not going anywhere near it to ask it for permission to sex it lmao.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i believe male, but its not sexually mature cuz the palps are small, and i KNOW that sexing them ventrally may be totally wrong but it has a very male looking mound. if i can get shots of the palps or the vent i will post, but im not going anywhere near it to ask it for permission to sex it lmao.
ventral sexing with trues is pretty different from sexing Ts. i'm not sure the diff between males and females ventrally with your species, but someone might!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ventral sexing with trues is pretty different from sexing Ts. i'm not sure the diff between males and females ventrally with your species, but someone might!
exactly i know it isnt the same, but if it were a T then i would say no doubt 110% holy crap male...but EH whatever, i just have the ability to say that i have a Brazilian Wandering spider as a pet now lol, its my first True spider pet ever.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Going by coloration alone I would hazard P. fera (don't rely on me though since Ts are my thing {D )

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
EDIT<---lack of sleep and just glanced at pics.

Last edited:

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cupiennius sp? Dosent look like a Phoneutria so your probably safe, hopefully one of the more experienced keepers can identify down to species.
im not gonna say Safe, by any means, andthe lighting of its Chelicerae is incorrect, its fangs are bright red, but with the light from the flash it looks more orange.

this is a good photo of the same species (or so i think)
http://www.paul.aic.co.uk/blog/spider.jpg

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow and so soon after all that hype about a huntsman they thought was a Brazilian Wandering Spider. I'm surprised this didn't make national news. {D Congratulations on your new pet!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow and so soon after all that hype about a huntsman they thought was a Brazilian Wandering Spider. I'm surprised this didn't make national news. {D Congratulations on your new pet!
i kinda almost wanted to call the media, but the last thing i want is their dumb reporters making a total mockery of a beautiful spider and then some jerk from the entomology department at MSU comes to "obtain" the specimen. so i said screw it, its mine.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well fera is the species mostly commonly thought to get into bananas but its actually nigriventer or reidyi. Most if not all the pics on google for instance of P. fera are supposedly wrong and this species has at least 1 other colormorph. That being said maybe this spider is a P. fera as it looks like none I could find, but do they import bananas from french guyana? Hmm I dont know, if theres a chance of an actual pic of P. fera here it is

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Phoneutria fera/Stefan2209/PICT1974.jpg

One of Stefan's images in another thread of a juvie.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well fera is the species mostly commonly thought to get into bananas but its actually nigriventer or reidyi. Most if not all the pics on google for instance of P. fera are supposedly wrong and this species has at least 1 other colormorph. That being said maybe this spider is a P. fera as it looks like none I could find, but do they import bananas from french guyana? Hmm I dont know, if theres a chance of an actual pic of P. fera here it is

As I said, Ts are my thing ;) Would you consider it a Phoneutria sp. even if not fera?

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most likely, searching my pic collections(yes I whore pics of Phoneutria's:p) and cant find one exactly like it which is frustrating to say the least. Possibly real P. fera judging by Stefans pics of the little juvies. Great pics btw Rusty, i'm jealous!

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
checks banannas she just bought, even though they came inside a plastic bag,,,, might go to store and browse bananna's might just be the thing to do now in getting free legal species....lol

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to dissapoint you, but the spider you found is not the famous Brazilian Wandering Spider. Indeed it's a wandering spider, but from the genus Cupiennus. Do not know what specie though as I am not familiar with them; maybe someone else in here can help you out.
Brazilian Wandering Spider's genus is Phoneutria, and that pictured specimen is not a Phoneutria.

Ricardo

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Again... Distinguishing Phoneutria by colors is all wrong. I do not understand why if people do not know about the genus give their opinion on it. If you are into Tarantulas, do not try to ID these specimens.
Phoneutria Fera is actually the least specimen found in Bananas as they live in the Amazon and so does Reidy.
Colors are not a key to distinguish Phoneutria.
The specimen pictured by Stefan turned to be another Phoneutria Sp.
That is not a P. Fera.

Ricardo

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to dissapoint you, but the spider you found is not the famous Brazilian Wandering Spider. Indeed it's a wandering spider, but from the genus Cupiennus. Do not know what specie though as I am not familiar with them; maybe someone else in here can help you out.
Brazilian Wandering Spider's genus is Phoneutria, and that pictured specimen is not a Phoneutria.

Ricardo
ok so im gettin nothing on this....your telling me its Cupiennus chiapanensis which is a central american wandering spider? if so whats the toxicity on it and what is some of the info regarding this little bugger cuz regardless of what it is im keeping it, i just need info about it.