Go or No?

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
I found quite an interesting species. Grammostola sp. formosa, although I'm having second thoughts because of the taxonomic mess. It's might just be a color form of G. pulchra or who know. So should I go for it?

Nlev

Arachnopeon
Do you know where this species originates from? There are thought to be two other species that look like G. pulchra, whose ranges are next to/overlap with G. pulchra. The species you are intersted in, does not look much like G. pulchra just in a quick Google search, but it could be a color morph.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Do you know where this species originates from? There are thought to be two other species that look like G. pulchra, whose ranges are next to/overlap with G. pulchra. The species you are intersted in, does not look much like G. pulchra just in a quick Google search, but it could be a color morph.
Grammostola sp. formosa should be from Paraguay. I know, it looks like G. pulchra with the exception of very visible white setae along its body.

Nlev

Arachnopeon
It is likely not G. pulchra, the other species similar to G. pulchra is Grammastola quirogai from Uruguay. My guess is Grammostola sp. formosa is probably the third species thought to be in Paraguay, that is thought to be in the same/similar area to G. pulchra. Determining the difference between G. pulchra and G. quirogai is difficult, and it is done, by looking at the palps or tibial hooks (I don't remember) of the male after he matures. Grammostola sp. formosa could be a new species, due to the different setae, but it would be nearly impossible to tell without doing genetic work on it

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
It is likely not G. pulchra, the other species similar to G. pulchra is Grammastola quirogai from Uruguay. My guess is Grammostola sp. formosa is probably the third species thought to be in Paraguay, that is thought to be in the same/similar area to G. pulchra. Determining the difference between G. pulchra and G. quirogai is difficult, and it is done, by looking at the palps or tibial hooks (I don't remember) of the male after he matures. Grammostola sp. formosa could be a new species, due to the different setae, but it would be nearly impossible to tell without doing genetic work on it
The taxonomy for the black Grammostola species being pulchra, quirogai and sp. formosa is a huge mess. Specially when you read the paper. The description for pulchra and sp. formosa are very similar. Nobody has studied them enough. Who knows, they could all be just G. pulchra

Nlev

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the taxonomy of all Family Theraphosidae is a mess. If I had to guess they are all color morphs of the same species.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Paraguayan White Hair if memory serves me right

and yes, taxonomy

seem to have disappeared of late. If you have access, and price is good, maybe nab it

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Paraguayan White Hair if memory serves me right

and yes, taxonomy

seem to have disappeared of late. If you have access, and price is good, maybe nab it

It's the only specimen of the species known to exists in Canada so it's priced a little steep.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Is it just a female only? Are there any males? If so, then I would avoid them. Selling away females is a way for breeders to get rid of dead ends or deadweight projects for them.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Is it just a female only? Are there any males? If so, then I would avoid them. Selling away females is a way for breeders to get rid of dead ends or deadweight projects for them.
A pair actually. The female is supposedly bigger than the male. But yeah, a single male and female

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A pair actually. The female is supposedly bigger than the male. But yeah, a single male and female
Was it an EU import? If so, request for ventral shots or molts as people even in the EU can make mistakes as it's more common than most would think. I knew someone who imported tarantulas from the EU. And the B. albiceps "pair" was actually 2 females which led to a pair of females with no males. So I would request for ventral shots or molts if possible.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Was it an EU import? If so, request for ventral shots or molts as people even in the EU can make mistakes as it's more common than most would think. I knew someone who imported tarantulas from the EU. And the B. albiceps "pair" was actually 2 females which led to a pair of females with no males. So I would request for ventral shots or molts if possible.
Good point. I'll definitely go and ask

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
So I went ahead and asked. Definitely a pair, both confirmed with molts

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Personally I would get them, I like grammostolas a lot, they’re all good eaters in my experience, at least when younger, especially my G. grossa and actaeon

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
I've requested a photo of the pair and the seller had just sent them to me. They're definitely different from the other grammostolas that I've seen before. The black body and the white tipped setae that apparently sets them apart from the others is very noticeable in the photos.