Gnats!!!!! How to get rid of them.

CumminsGuy2001

Arachnopeon
So i have gnats really bad. They just started popping up about 3 days ago. They are in both of my rose hair tanks and the tank that i just setup for my cobalt blue. Being rose hairs I haven't kept the tanks very humid. Any ideas on how to get rid of them or do i need to change the substrate?? Thanks

P.S. The one tank I used potting soil and have some moss and grass growing in it. The second one has tree bark in it. The cage i just setup i used that excavating dirt so its wet right now but will dry out.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sure they aren't phorid flies? Got any dead crickets around? What you mean bark?....Bark as substrate or as decor in the background? Bark substrate is a no no...You'll need bout 6-8 inches of substrate for your cobalt blue ( H. Lividum) if it's full grown.

CumminsGuy2001

Arachnopeon
No dead crickets. I clean the eaten ones out and if they dont eat i take them back out after a couple hours. Im a little new to keeping these cool guys so. Umm the bark i was using as a substrate. I am curious as to why its not a good substrate to use. It was listed as good to use for T's so i figured id try it out. My H. Lividum is not even close to being mature yet. I'd say shes about 2.5 inches right now. I know i need 6 inches or so if good burrowing dirt for her. I used the excavating dirt to make a nice little cave and have some good clay dirt that im going to use in the rest of the tank for her to dig holes. Thanks

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What kinda bark? From a store? Is it pine or cedar?
...Anyways...The reason I said that is because everybody on this website has always said not to use bark as it "makes the Tarantula uncomfortable" or "If it falls then it will get impaled on a sharp piece" or " it doesn't allow them to burrow properly" and some barks are actually bad for the Tarantula's health...

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gnats, fruit flies, phorids, and any other little flying thing will need a food source. If the enclosure is dry (no decaying matter) and there are no dead creatures in it, then maybe they are actually attracted to something nearby, but not actually in your enclosure?

Bark chips are often recommended by pet stores, but they are universally condemned on the boards. Peat, coco fiber (eco earth), or potting soil are better alternatives. Some people also use soil, if you have access to some that you know is clean. And a few use vermiculite.

But no one on the boards admits to using bark chips, and there are good reasons for it.

CumminsGuy2001

Arachnopeon
Im not sure what kind of bark it is. I was looking on the bag but it doesnt say what kind. I picked up some different kinds of substrates today. One being eco earth and some jungle be which has vermiculite which from what i have read alot of ppl on here like to use. So im going to clean cages out tonight and try them out. Thanks to everybody for their input.