Glomerida breeding

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
since there is interest in my Glomerida breeding, I‘ll document it here.

Let’s start with the species I‘m keeping and which have produced offspring already.
In keeping:

Glomeris marginata WC ex Germany
(two breeding groups from different locales)
Glomeris marginata WC ex south France („red banded“)
Glomeris sp [cf. tetrasticha/intermedia] WC ex Germany
Glomeris klugii (ex undulata) WC ex Germany
Glomeris sp
[cf. hexasticha/tetrasticha/intermedia]
WC ex Germany
Glomeris annulata WC ex south France
Glomeris pulchra WC ex Labin, Istrien, Croatia
Onychoglomeris hercegovinensis WC ex Kalambaka, northwest Greece

Breeding:
Glomeris marginata ex Germany
(Glomeris marginata ex south France maybe)

Both of my german marginata groups (15 each) have produced atleast 10 juveniles since collection in fall&spring.
And interestingly, the group I collected first are from a population which reach up to 20mm, the two biggest dwarf all other Glomeris I keep.
The two unidentified groups contain of 2 individuals of the same species, housed with one marginata group (found together) and another group of around 5, which may be different species, housed seperately.
Glomeris annulata, which is known for being unbreedable so far, arrived only in a small quantity, ca 5 individuals, so I‘m not trying especially hard with breeding those.
Glomeris klugii are a similarly small group, containing 6 individuals, but I‘m trying to recieve more to increase my chances for offspring.
I‘m keeping all those species since atleast half a year, only Glomeris pulchra and the massive Onychoglomeris are new, I got them this week.
I hope to recieve more species until end of 2021 as well.

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Very cool! Could you describe your setups and care regimen?
Also, do you plan on keeping any non-European species?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Good afternoon,

of course.
I keep them on FS, mixed with a good amount of calcium and some crushed sepia. But that’s not the optimum, I should be using BS.
Substrate height varies between 10 and ca 20cm.
On top I offer specially prepared leaves, moss and lichen covered branches.
Additionally a small amount of decaying wood, but no white rot, since it’s barely eaten. They like brownish-reddish wood a lot more, both from decidious trees like beech, or pine.
For my Onychoglomeris I also added crushed, calcerous rocks and some bigger pieces. I keep them outside in a little shed in the garden with one of my marginata and unidentified cultures.
All others are inside.

Attached is a pic of one such breeding box, without the rocks though.

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder

Attachments

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
after I revised the Onychoglomeris hercegovinensis breeding box yesterday, I can share some pictures now.
Their old container had 8ltr, the new ca 30ltr volume. Substrate height changed to 15-20cm.
The box is now filled with 60% decaying leaves mixed with decaying wood (90-80/10-20%) (originally Cetoniinae substrate) and 40% their old substrate, FlakeSoil.
Not mixed, but laying next to each other.
Incorporated in both are generous amounts of crushed sepia, calcerous rocks and calcium.
Part of the leaves(+ their frass pellets) I use for Glomerids (see pic in post above) were mixed into the natural substrate and sprinkled on the whole substrate as well.
I added the moss and some white-brownish rotten wood to the surface.
As soon as the leave start falling here, I‘ll collect some of those and supply them with those as well.
In case I didn‘t miss any, I‘m keeping 11 „adults“ and 3 juveniles.
This gave me the chance to meassure the biggest individual, which has a whopping 26mm/just over an inch bodylenght.
I really hope they like their new enclosure and start breeding soon.

It was quite lovely to watch them explore the enclosure, they seemed especially interested to the big rock.
I took a few pictures and recorded a short video as well.
You should find it by searching Onychoglomeris into YouTube.

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder

Attachments

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Good evening,
I only have a small observation to share:
the Onychoglomeris hercegovinensis are almost always sitting in the substrate, barely coming to the surface.
So in case you need another pet hole, Onychoglomeris is your genus of choice.

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
I peeked into my Onychoglomeris enclosure yesterday and I saw 4 sitting on top of the substrate. Not only is that the most I have seen since I put them in there, but it was also 46,4 degrees Fahrenheit at the time.
They really like it cold.

Cheers!

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Good afternoon,
I have to show another new species I recieved recently.
3D45B981-BADB-47EA-8551-95E57B7A37DB.jpeg
A small Glomerid from Thailand, probably either a Rhopalomeris or Hyleoglomeris sp, but they aren’t identified further than family level yet.
They weere collected near the river Mekong, close to Laos. The same species has actually been imported into Europe from Laos a few years back, but couldn’t be established in breedings.
Now we got some again and I hope to get some offspring from my group. (A bid over a dozen).
They are small, 15mm max, but quite colourful. Definitely worth a try for me!
67C36E56-C984-443D-A2B7-DABD0C6EAA1D.png

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder

Attachments

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Good afternoon,
I had to rehome my indoor Glomeris marginata yesterday so I took a couple of shots. Both WC adults and the WF1 kindegarden.

8F63A1BA-CFDA-4BC2-8661-6E6FF1786955.jpeg
D4023F00-24EF-43F4-9112-34B924C68269.jpeg
I also had the chance to observe a female wrapping up an egg, twice actually.
Interesting process, but she didn’t like me peeking into the container and curled up a bit.

Furthermore I send a few preserved specimens of the yellow-black species to an expert and got them identified as Hyleoglomeris sp.

Best regards,
PillipedeBreeder

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
it’s time for an update, unfortunately not a positive one.
After a few deaths in the first 6 months, the last Hyleoglomeris ex Thailand died a few months ago.
Unfortunately without offspring and every other keeper I talked to told me the same, all dead and no offspring.
Now that this species has popped up in the US, I hope they arrived in some responsible hands and the regarding keepers have more luck than we did!
Second story,
my Glomeris pulchra produced a small lot of babies, around 8, before dying before and shortly after hibernation.
However, these died when I let them dry out accidentally... meaning this species is gone too.
Now, three times a charm, :shifty:
my small group of Glomeris intermedia/hexasticha died in spring to 3/4, leaving me with a single individuum, which I put promtly into my second Glomeris marginata culture.
I‘m considering going to restock my french Glomeris next year since I took losses from them too, however it was recently found out how to breed annulata by a friend!
This discovery sparks new hope, my second approach next year will be a bit drier since I had lots of excessive humidity... and then hopefully more success.

All this negative news aside, my Onychoglomeris have been denying me any offspring so far in good Onychoglomeris manners and I expect them last max 2 years longer.

I recently got a group of 25 Glomeris hexasticha WC&WF1 babies (5/20 ratio) from a breeder in Germany. Since they have been very profilic in his care, I hope they‘ll pick up the paste next year too... if the majority are sexually mature then!
(Pic added).
There might be some more species arriving this fall, but I‘m not 100% sure which.

I‘ll post once I have news.

My hope for next year...
less WC in general in my care. I‘ll rather go and sponsor materials to breeders in the respective countries than having to have WC shipped to me.
Too many deaths. Takes out the fun.

Best regards.

Attachments

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Did you have success getting these to eat in any volume? I ask because the same food seems to be the trick with these and they do eat quite a bit if it's right.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Good afternoon,
I have to show another new species I recieved recently.
View attachment 403110
A small Glomerid from Thailand, probably either a Rhopalomeris or Hyleoglomeris sp, but they aren’t identified further than family level yet.
They weere collected near the river Mekong, close to Laos. The same species has actually been imported into Europe from Laos a few years back, but couldn’t be established in breedings.
Now we got some again and I hope to get some offspring from my group. (A bid over a dozen).
They are small, 15mm max, but quite colourful. Definitely worth a try for me!
View attachment 403111

Best Regards,
PillipedeBreeder
Sorry, these.

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
my newest acquisition, the Glomeris hexasticha, feed readily on decaying wood (white rot oak).

This will be the last update here.

Best regards

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I made up my mind about continuing my care documention here.
I currently own the following species:
Glomeris marginata
Glomeris tetrasticha
Glomeris connexa
Glomeris hexasticha
Glomeris intermedia
Glomeris balcanica
Glomeris annulata
Loboglomeris rugifera
Onychoglomeris herzegowinensis
Hyleoglomeris sp. Vietnam
Protoglomeris vasonica

Glomeris balcanica and Hyleoglomeris sp. Vietnam are my most successful breeding project just yet, I recieved about 15 each in spring and later on June and both species have produced several dozens of juveniles up until now.
IMG_1973.jpeg IMG_2162.jpeg
They popped up around at the same time, but as Hyleoglomeris grow significantly faster than Glomeris, the juveniles of the first are already reaching 5-6mm. The balcanica are about half the size, but they start to get the typical red band on their segments already.
My Onychoglomeris had the apparently first ever documented oviposition in captivity this spring, however their eggs did not make it, probably due to too high moisture and gnat larvae eating the frass pellets. I modified their container after seeing the failure, hoping for a successful oviposition possibly soon.
IMG_0252.jpeg IMG_1812.jpeg
Here’s O. herzegowinensis and L. rugifera in comparion. The largest Glomerida at 35mm.
Loboglomeris laid eggs as well, but they have been lost to it seems high moisture as well. They might be aestivating currently as they are predominantly underground now.
My few marginata juveniles from last year have grown nicely so far, my annulata population is reduced to 3, so I stopped putting more effort into them breeding until I get more specimens in. Here’s the french ones:
IMG_2116.jpeg
Similar story for Protoglomeris, however they didn’t were enough for a breeding stock to begin with. More of a bycatch for the Loboglomeris rugifera.
IMG_0202.jpeg IMG_1739.jpeg IMG_1833.jpeg
I expect my hexasticha, tetrasticha and intermedia to breed this fall. My Glomeris connexa just got in and first I gotta figure out what their preferred food is before thinking about breeding.
IMG_2132.jpeg

Best regards

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
these are my newest additions. They should are known as „Rhopalomeris sp. Strawberry“ to the general public, a large (1inch!) sized species from Thailand. I initially believed they belong to an yet undescribed species, but due to a researchers input, who believes they are actually Rhopalomeris carnifex, they are now labled Rhopalomeris cf. carnifex in my care.
IMG_2375.jpeg
Quite attractive species, however they seem to be rather shy (according to other keepers experience as well) and spend most of their time hidden in the leaflitter, so you’re not seeing them unless you poke around in their enclosure.
They appear to be the pickiest species I’ve had the fortune of keeping so far regarding their diet, as they aren’t touching neither moss nor lichen usually devoured by my other species, only feeding on a specific kind of decaying leaves.
IMG_2468.jpeg
Best regards

Attachments

Last edited: