Glass Aquarium for tarantula enclosure

robbeast

Arachnopeon
hello guys!

im planning to build a 15"x12"x10" glass enclosure for my 4" fem gbb and 4" A. geniculata fem, i just want to ask if is it ok for this tarantula put in a enclosure without side ventilation?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Yes, top ventilation is OK for those. You do intend to build two enclosures and keep the spiders separately, right? Just checking :troll:

robbeast

Arachnopeon
oh thanks for your fast response :) just wondering which is better for a top lid ventilation.. any idea will be appreciated

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you’re building it you could always drill in some ventilation with a glass drill bit before you put the panels together, but you can get away without it.

robbeast

Arachnopeon
If you’re building it you could always drill in some ventilation with a glass drill bit before you put the panels together, but you can get away without it.
im not going to drill a side ventilation for my planned enclosure, coz im scared of breaking it....

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
im not going to drill a side ventilation for my planned enclosure, coz im scared of breaking it....
If you have the right bit it can go quite smoothly. Get a glass bit and test it out. Start slow.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hello guys!

im planning to build a 15"x12"x10" glass enclosure for my 4" fem gbb and 4" A. geniculata fem, i just want to ask if is it ok for this tarantula put in a enclosure without side ventilation?
Yeah, both species do just fine with only top ventilation.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
is the size of my project is enough till they get matured?
They should be fine, it’s always hard to say without pictures but the dimensions sound good for that size, might even be a little on the larger size at your T’s sizes.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is the size of my project is enough till they get matured?
Yes, 15"x12"x10" is definitely big enough for a mature GBB or genic - just make sure you use enough substrate, so there is no more than 1.5 times the spider's diagonal leg span from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure, so if/when your spiders decide to climb the walls, they don't fall and suffer injury.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I've drilled a few glass panes, broke a few as well.

I take isolation tape and tape over the spot I want to drill. I have a good drill bit and I ensure the bit is cold by pouring water over it constantly.

Recently I have discovered it is a lot easier and cheaper to just take the panels to a glass shop and they do it within 30 minutes.

mellow

Arachnobaron
The locking mechanism seems excessive doesn't it? What are you keeping in there, the tarantula version of Hulk? :lol:
I don't know what the person who made it is keeping in there but I like how the enclosure looks! lol 😁

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
The first time I ever drilled a glass aquarium I was nervous as could be. There are plenty of good YouTube videos showing how it's done.
Just buy a good diamond drill bit from Amazon and take it slow. Always keep the bit head lubricated...and I don't mean booze lol.
I took my aquarium outside and taped my garden hose to the aquarium so when I turned it on the water would rush right to where I was drilling and cool the drill bit. That's the key you have to keep it cool.
Since that time I've drilled dozens of tanks for my dart frogs. As long as you take your time it's pretty easy.
If you like I could try and dig up some photos of the process. I think they are on my PC and I'm currently on my phone.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I have drilled my two vivariums in the most fragile spot without any problem. Get a decent sized good drill bit, a variable speed drill and keep it cool with some water, taping it will help you a bit in the last part of drilling, that way the drilled round glass wont fall so easily.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hello guys!

Yes