Giving a scorp presentation soon.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay... i have like 6 days til i give my scorpion talk at the local library. I'm bringing in a few of my scorps ranging from 2I/3I and adult emps, Some C vitts, a H hottentotta, and an A australis. might bring in some more depending on how much room they are giving me to do my set up.

I'm gonna talk basics on scorpion care and husbandry and answer questions from the groups ( mostly children from ages 5 to 10). I'm wondering ,though, What all else i should cover with a group like this.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd talk about how their venom is being used in research to make new medicines. Hmm, but the fact that its kids... perhaps you could cover something about how the babies cling to their moms back for a while.. dont mention that she might eat some of them though, don't want to scar their fragile little minds. ;P

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When i was first asked to do this i was told i would have an hour for the entire group, but then they had too many people sign up. so now i have 15 minutes per discussion and around 4 or 5 groups to talk to. I'm just stuck on weeding the info down now.

I am going to hit on the venom rating a bit and definitely and about how the mother cares for the babies.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
forgive me for my spelling i am lazy today

I do a presentation over snakes in the texas area. I cover venomous and non ven. Snakes

I think the best thing to get across to childern is why these animals play a key role in our envoriment. Talk about reasons people sould like and respect scorps for what they really are. I think the best thing is to get childern to love and not fear these wounderful animals but still have the repsect for the animals and leave it alone and not disturb them in the wild.

That is the message I like to portray for the snakes, not these make awesome pets or look how gross this animal is. I have known and seen presentations where that was the message people were trying to get across.

I would stick to talking about there anatomy, bio facts, the diffences in the species, and the role they play in the wild.
exaples would be talk about:
THere claws and tails, how they hunt, How they see, Where they live, What they eat, How they are not out to get people "like so many people belive" ect

If they leave with and understanding of the scorps they will become more interested in learning more about them lator and more likely when they get to adults get scrops of their own.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Check out this thread HERE Drachenjager asked the same Q for grades grades K-3, you can also PM Drachenjager directly and ask him how his presentation went.

PS: don't forget the UV light for effect.

Last edited:

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dont have any suggestions dude! but i think it's a great idea what your doing, i think that more people round my area should do it as they al think that scorps are dangerious and disgusting, but how wrong they be