Gimpy leg

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, let me start from the beginning.

So 4 days ago, my B.boehmei decides to molt. The molt was a success and everything seemed to be okay, which it is.. well sort of. Recently I noticed that my T has been almost "nursing" one of its rear legs. It rarely uses it, and doesn't use it when climbing, it just hugs it close to its body almost as if it was injured, which it is not. But from my observation, I have noticed that the last two sections of the leg are somewhat curved inward towards the abdomen, unlike the rest of the legs, which are formed correctly. So it seems to have a "gimpy leg" so to speak.

So my question is, what could possibly have caused this? I won't bother to ask how I can fix it, because its obviously unrepairable until the boehmei decides to molt again.

Thanks!

- Shane

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
many things could have caused it. It probably happend then the exoskeleton was soft. maybe it teried to climb somthing and fell on it. did you try to handle it recently? or maybe feed it too soon? it will be fine tho after next molt :)

Hanes

Arachnosquire
If the leg is really useless then it will probably get rid of the leg soon

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Confirmed if the gimp leg bothers the T too much it will detach it soon enough. As far as what could have cause it, it could be alot of things the way the molt went the way it stretched out and hardened up or maybe it tried to climp to early and injured it in a fall. Main thing you CAN do is proved it as much water as the T needs their rear legs are powered by blood presure in order to extend also if you are pinch picking it up try not to for a few weeks it could be a direct result of that, their rear legs really cant handle that too well unless its a larger T

psykoink

Arachnopeon
Actually, Im not so sure that they "need" their rear legs. They certainly look a lot better with all 8 :}. I have 6 Poecilotheria penderseni slings (amongst many others) and one had a bad molt and lost its left and right rear leg. It climbs just fine, eats better then the other 5, and is just as feisty. In fact its going into another molt and acting perfectly normal. Reason for the lost legs, power outage on a super hot day while I was at work. Couldnt get home to do anything about it. Spider picked a bad time to molt. As stated before though, if the leg is bothering the T and its hindering its movement the T will just remove it and grow a new one. T's can do amazing things, very adaptable and tougher then we give them credit for.
Confirmed if the gimp leg bothers the T too much it will detach it soon enough. As far as what could have cause it, it could be alot of things the way the molt went the way it stretched out and hardened up or maybe it tried to climp to early and injured it in a fall. Main thing you CAN do is proved it as much water as the T needs their rear legs are powered by blood presure in order to extend also if you are pinch picking it up try not to for a few weeks it could be a direct result of that, their rear legs really cant handle that too well unless its a larger T

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
So did you move the T too soon or try to feed it after the molt and it didnt eat? It could just be a bad molt. I have a theraphosa that got spooked after a molt and the rear telotarsus joint turns the wrong way. I suspect the my T had a slight injury from trying to run with its exo unhardened. They can injure themselves very easy after a molt. How big is your specimen? Its always good to let people know in the post about your T. For all we know your talking about a 1" or 6" T. :confused:

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
many things could have caused it. It probably happend then the exoskeleton was soft. maybe it teried to climb somthing and fell on it. did you try to handle it recently? or maybe feed it too soon? it will be fine tho after next molt :)
Nope, I didn't try to handle it, nor did I feed it too soon, but the fall might be a possibility. Also, it is too small to really handle anyways, since its only around about two inches in size.

agentd006las said:
So did you move the T too soon or try to feed it after the molt and it didnt eat? It could just be a bad molt. I have a theraphosa that got spooked after a molt and the rear telotarsus joint turns the wrong way. I suspect the my T had a slight injury from trying to run with its exo unhardened. They can injure themselves very easy after a molt. How big is your specimen? Its always good to let people know in the post about your T. For all we know your talking about a 1" or 6" T.
Yeah, its about 2 inches in size, and I think you might be onto something with the running. This boehmei is extremely skittish, even when I walk into the room is really gets startled and runs everywhere for a second. It definitely could have messed up its leg from that.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hopefully it will repair the leg after next molt. IME injured T's tend to speed up their next molt.

PIG-

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully it will repair the leg after next molt. IME injured T's tend to speed up their next molt.

PIG-
Yeah, i'm overly confident that it will repair, its not that bad of an injury, its just strange more-so. Also, it hasn't casted off the leg, and has been eating normally. I'd say it will speed up the next molt though.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Sounds like a wet molt to me, Pictures would help abunch.
If the T hasnt dropped the legs yet, they are still usefull and Proboly wont; So you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Sounds like a wet molt to me, Pictures would help abunch.
If the T hasnt dropped the legs yet, they are still usefull and Proboly wont; So you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Do you know what a wet molt is? This is by no means a wet molt. Nobody described the T as not hardening its exoskeloton. And thats only one damaged leg. Here are some threads on wet molts.

WARNING GRAPHIC THREADS!!!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=129175&highlight=molt

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=933187#post933187

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=134224&highlight=wet+molt

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you know what a wet molt is? This is by no means a wet molt. Nobody described the T as not hardening its exoskeloton. And thats only one damaged leg. Here are some threads on wet molts.

Agent! She is fully qualified to give expert advice, didn't you know that 2 months with 2 rosies and injuries to both of them in that time makes you an expert?!?!?!?!?!

Joe - CAK

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Agent! She is fully qualified to give expert advice, didn't you know that 2 months with 2 rosies and injuries to both of them in that time makes you an expert?!?!?!?!?!

Joe - CAK
Dont forget centepedes for company during a molt! :p

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire

According to the second link, my T did infact suffer from a WETMOLT. AGAIN, Weather or not It was caused By the Bugs or whatnot it's unknown. Shall I experiment on my LP's?! Get real.

And note, I asked for pictures.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
According to the second link, my T did infact suffer from a WETMOLT. AGAIN, Weather or not It was caused By the Bugs or whatnot it's unknown. Shall I experiment on my LP's?! Get real.

And note, I asked for pictures.
Watchyousaynoob? Your thread has nothing to do with this one. Its not even similar. I sugguest you do some reading and research before trying to diagnose peoples Ts. And its not a fact that your T suffered a wet molt. It did not. Its only your unedjucated opinion.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Watchyousaynoob? Your thread has nothing to do with this one. Its not even similar. I sugguest you do some reading and research before trying to diagnose peoples Ts.
Really, stop stalking me.

If you had any brain, you would Realize I *MIGHT* Have a T that's doing something similar. I *MIGHT* Be trying to gather some information. Wether you like it or not, I'm here to stay so get used to it.

OP-PM me a picture if you could?

Uneducated? So what. Who Says you need an education to EDUCATE or LEARN something? Considering I'm in the medical field with out an EDUCATION in it Says +10 booksmarts.

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really, stop stalking me.

If you had any brain, you would Realize I *MIGHT* Have a T that's doing something similar. I *MIGHT* Be trying to gather some information. Wether you like it or not, I'm here to stay so get used to it.

OP-PM me a picture if you could?

Uneducated? So what. Who Says you need an education to EDUCATE or LEARN something? Considering I'm in the medical field with out an EDUCATION in it Says +10 booksmarts.
My problem noob is that you are openly advertising you are a noob and yet, you are diagnosing a wet molt problem with a one sentence description and not even as much as a picture.

I'm glad you are here to stay, I really am... Eventually you will start learning things and your enthusiasm can be channeled somewhere useful!

I don't think you are dumb and I certainly am not questioning your degree-less medical career. What I am questioning is your ability to listen to advice of others.

There are those of us that definitely follow your posts... and that is to make sure "hacks" like you don't give out misinformation to people that genuinely look for information that is semi-accurate. If you had posts about "which spider is the greenest" and which spider is the "most cuddly" type threads, you wouldn't hear one iota from me. But you are a self proclaimed expert with one month of experience and two injured spiders.

:) Joe - CAK

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah sorry, but this is definitely NOT a wet molt. An injury caused while molting, more plausible. Pictures are hard to get with my garbage camera, but i'll see if I can scrape a couple up for all your viewing pleasures!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here guys, i've got a half decent pictures for you! You can really see clearly the curved leg in this pic, also, the other back leg I noticed is also slightly curved!