Giant white knee/hiding place

B

Bjorgly

Hi everyone!

In a couple days i am getting a giant white knee, a sub adult at 4 inches. I was wondering how big of a flower pot i should use to let the hide in, because i would hate for them to try and molt in it and get stuck.

Also i plan to use a base of potting soil and spread cocount bark chips on the top to use to keep humidity up by spraying them, please let me know if this is a good idea.

Also anything else anyone cal tell me about keeping such a cool spider as i only have a mexican redknee now and ive never kept something that can grow to 9 inches before!

Thanks alot,

Mark

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No coconut bark chips, use just plain potting soil, and mist it, that should hold humidity just fine. I've heard about T's having a hard time with the chips!! Just get a flower pot the spider can fit comfortabiliy into, don't make it a squeeze to get in it, and don't make it soo big he won't feel secure hiding in it, remember they like tight spaces!!

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks, ill be sure to ditch the coconut bark idea and stick with just potting soil, or vermiculite/potting soil.

Mark

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
A geniculata are very hardy, and voracious eaters. Mine never uses his/her hide, but FWIW, it's a piece of PVC pipe, the kind with an angle bent into it. It's against one of the corners, and when molting, the T makes a molting web on top of it!
They are usually out in the open, which makes for a very nice display tarantula.
I keep one side of the terrarium damper than the other, and it seems to prefer the damper side, the substrate is a mix of peat moss and vermiculite

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've got 2 of them and they are both diggers. I use Peat Moss as a substrate (about 4 or 5 inches) and both have dug out a burrow.
Mine are 5.25" and 3" (both Males:( )