Giant Vinegaroon hasn't moved in 12 hours, should i be concerned?

CrawlingOrgans

Arachnopeon
I just bought them from petco on Friday. They had been there for months and i wanted them so bad. I have them in a large reptile tank that's 80% soil. Soil is a mix of potting soil and peat moss. My room is kind of cold, and I'm going to buy a heat lamp for them today. This is my first time owning one and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned that they haven't moved in 12 hours. They're responsive and are alive, I know that. I'm just worried about them. I don't want to be a bad bug dad

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Potting soil as in made specifically for plants with chemical additives and fertilizers? if so you need to remove it from that ASAP!! You don't need a heat lamp for it it will do fine at room temps. Also Mastigoproctus are very sedentary animals and will stay hidden pretty much the majority of the year sometimes, inactivity is not a concern but your soil is potentially a huge concern.

CrawlingOrgans

Arachnopeon
Potting soil as in made specifically for plants with chemical additives and fertilizers? if so you need to remove it from that ASAP!! You don't need a heat lamp for it it will do fine at room temps. Also Mastigoproctus are very sedentary animals and will stay hidden pretty much the majority of the year sometimes, inactivity is not a concern but your soil is potentially a huge concern.
They do not have fertilizers or pesticides in them. I made entirely sure of that before buying and adding it to the tank

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They do not have fertilizers or pesticides in them. I made entirely sure of that before buying and adding it to the tank
Oh okay good!! Usually people are unaware of that and use stuff made for plants which does not work at all!

CrawlingOrgans

Arachnopeon
Oh okay good!! Usually people are unaware of that and use stuff made for plants which does not work at all!
I tried to do as much research as I could before getting him! I love this little guy so much and want to be an entomologist at some point!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I tried to do as much research as I could before getting him! I love this little guy so much and want to be an entomologist at some point!
That’s great on both accounts!! Thelyphonida are very rewarding!! And please do be prepared to have it possibly disappear for upwards of a year at times. There is 8 of mine that I have not seen above ground in almost a year haha. It’s totally normal and they’re all this down there in their little chambers. If you ever need help just reach out to me and I’ll be happy to help!

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought them from petco on Friday. They had been there for months and i wanted them so bad. I have them in a large reptile tank that's 80% soil. Soil is a mix of potting soil and peat moss. My room is kind of cold, and I'm going to buy a heat lamp for them today. This is my first time owning one and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned that they haven't moved in 12 hours. They're responsive and are alive, I know that. I'm just worried about them. I don't want to be a bad bug dad
First thing that we need to establish: you should NEVER use a heatlamp for fossorial species. That is likely to dehydrate the animal and its cage and substrate. It looks like the other guys took care of you, so I won't add anything else. Also, in the future, adding like 10 or 15% (safe) sand to peat/dirt can make it easier for burrows to stay intact once it all dries. You could maybe add more, but I'm not sure. I just know I've heard good things about adding a minority of sand to the substrate. I use a little bit with my AFS in his bio mix.

bunnythetarantula

Arachnopeon
That’s great on both accounts!! Thelyphonida are very rewarding!! And please do be prepared to have it possibly disappear for upwards of a year at times. There is 8 of mine that I have not seen above ground in almost a year haha. It’s totally normal and they’re all this down there in their little chambers. If you ever need help just reach out to me and I’ll be happy to help!
is it bad to dig them up? I know with hermit crabs, it could cause them to die. I am rehousing my vinegaroons and one has been buried all winter. The other was only buried for a month or so.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
is it bad to dig them up? I know with hermit crabs, it could cause them to die. I am rehousing my vinegaroons and one has been buried all winter. The other was only buried for a month or so.
why are you trying to dig it up? Do not do that leave it be, it will come up when it is ready to. They go underground for long periods of time to molt every year. I haven't seen some of mine in over 8months and there is still no reason to dig any of them up. So don't dig yours up.

bunnythetarantula

Arachnopeon
why are you trying to dig it up? Do not do that leave it be, it will come up when it is ready to. They go underground for long periods of time to molt every year. I haven't seen some of mine in over 8months and there is still no reason to dig any of them up. So don't dig yours up.
Because I’m going to rehome them. They will need to be transported in deli cups.

bunnythetarantula

Arachnopeon
They are also babies. One year old. I don’t know if that makes any difference. I don’t think the first one molted this winter. And the other one is still burrowed.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes. Most likely. I haven’t found a home yet. And I haven’t been able to make a rehousing post yet because I have to have over 15 posts first.
Okay well it sounds like you don't need to do it ASAP and have to wait until you have found someone to sell them to.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Message me if you are definitely looking to rehouse them I may be interested by the way. I might be able to make space for two more young ones