Giant Pink Starburst Birdeater

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A local pet shop by my house has one. They don't know the latin name (typical).
Anyone know/heard of it? New species maybe? It looks kind of like a Pinkfoot Goliath / T. Apophysis.

Jim B.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi

I heard of a P.murinus being pink...I dunno but how much does it cost? may be it is T. apophysis I'm not sure you know pet store people have been really dumb lately, I been observing. any ways have a nice day
geo

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What an amazing name....

Your guess is as good as mine.

For my quess, I would be Salmon Pink: L parahybana.

What was the price? That may be a good way to narrow it down. They certainly wouldn't be able to sell a T. Apophysis for $20.00 wheras they could sell an L. parahybana for that much.

Good luck and don't let not knowing the scientific name keep you from buying it. I buy mystery tarantulas and track down the names afterwards. Sometimes the challenges are well worth the cost of the tarantula, plus you get another cool spider.

Ralph

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
after looking at that "look at my new rosie" thread, price emans nothing. if u can get an adult b. smithi for 14.99 anything can happen. i think if the price is reasonable and it looks like something interesting, go for it.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes there is a Pink Starbust Baboon and its labeled as all the Usambra Baboon are labeled Pterinochilus murinus . . . Usambara pink strbrst . The cheapest one of them I have seen is $5 for 1/2"

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's definitely not a Pterinochilus sp. or a L. parahybana, both of which I own. It's a light brown T somewhat like a T. Apophysis. And it has some faint leg striping.

I'm going to go and see if they'll let me take a pic of it and I'll post it.

Jim B.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Now that I got a better look at it (it was always curled up) it looks more like a different color phase of L. parahybana. Not the brown color that the can get from having too low humidity. This one has almost a redish or pink (thus the name) tinge to it.

Attachments

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry for the blurry pic. I was having trouble :)

But what a beauty she is!

Jim B.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is hard to say from the pic, but it doesn't really look like L. parahybana to me. Could it be a Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma"? It wouldn't take too much creative license to come up with " pink starburst birdeater" for this spider. They are commonly called Brazilian Pinks, and the males get a pink "starburst" upon maturity. This would be an unusual find in a pet store, but you never know.

Here is a pic of one of my large females...

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
whatever it is its a pretty cool bug, they had a brazilian pink subadult female i believe at a pet store here for like between 120-150$ i cant remember

Last edited: