Giant mealworms

Bluebird5591

Arachnopeon
Petsmart was out of superworms so i got giant mealworms instead, now I'm seeing they are treated with hormones to make them larger than normal, is it ok to feed them to my Tarantulas or should they be avoided?

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People here have talked about feeding superworms and no one has said they were dangerous to do so. I have superworms that I have purchased to last awhile due to sheltering/social distancing. I feel confident that it will cause no harm. Just remember to really crush their heads before feeding. They still will activate the T's feeding response but not burrow into the sub.

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I agree, they're fine. Even if they are treated with hormones, it doesn't necessarily make them dangerous to feed. I give them to my spiders for some variety now and then, and they seem to enjoy them.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
There not as delicious as superworms and the after taste is semi-repulsive, but as the saying goes "to each their own."

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I avoided using those for inverts, many pesticides contain a similar substance that prevents the insects from evolving to their adult form
I don't know whether it has any effect on tarantulas but to me it feels safer not to feed them something like that.