Giant Isopods

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
I read in a book about millilpede care of a legendary gigantic isopod, Globotherium, who, when curled up, can be the size of a large orange, but i haven't been able to find much info on them. Does anyone know of some good sites or authorities i could contact that i could learn more about these giant creatures? :?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe Globotherium are pill millipedes, not isopods.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No. Terrestrial isopods are sow bugs, woodlice, pill bugs, sea slaters, etc.. Pill millipedes are pill millipedes.

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
Oh ok. Thank you for clearing that up. Anyway, do you know where i can find out more about them?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you want to know and have you tried Google(Im guessing no)?

Thusfar all pill millipedes that have been imported have died within 6 months of importation. Nobody has successfully kept them that I know of.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry short on time. Quickly though, they are from Madagascar, they are becoming rare due to over harvesting, the climate and food they need cannot be reproduced here, they all die, only one or two people in the world have had them over a year or gotten them to molt. They requier more special care than the US can provide. Most lots, even if eating well, die withing 4-6 months. Myself and a lot of my friends tried to raise these beautiful things only to watch every one die, and I had hundreds of millipedes before trying....sorry kiddo, they are great to see...in pics.

tlgreve

Arachnopeon
What about the giant aquatic Isopods? I don't have info about them, but I know they get to awesome sizes.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about the giant aquatic Isopods? I don't have info about them, but I know they get to awesome sizes.
We have some big ones in the Gulf of Mexico...I have seen preserved specimens at Texas A&M at LEAST 10"++++ in length..

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
Sorry short on time. Quickly though, they are from Madagascar, they are becoming rare due to over harvesting, the climate and food they need cannot be reproduced here, they all die, only one or two people in the world have had them over a year or gotten them to molt. They requier more special care than the US can provide. Most lots, even if eating well, die withing 4-6 months. Myself and a lot of my friends tried to raise these beautiful things only to watch every one die, and I had hundreds of millipedes before trying....sorry kiddo, they are great to see...in pics.
I wasn't planning on trying to obtain them (i knew that they were somewhat threatened) but thank you for all the information. I couldnt find much on google, and the stuff i did was all different. I appreciate your help, and you have my condolences for losing such awe-inspiring creatures.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They don't just come from Madagascar. There are other species in other locales, though the captive results are the same.

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My understanding of it was that they cant be kept in captivity because of the bacteria that they use for digestion in their stomach come from native debris and rotting wood by where they live and it cant be reproduced in captivity without native elements. Which is why they have had such a hard time to be kept in captivity. They basicly starve to death as they cant process any of the food without the bacteria they need and eventually expire.

Layne

Last edited:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not only the gut flora is not sustaining itself but it is also the climate most likely that is also hindering the efforts to breed them in captivity, the pics I have seen of the green ones from madagascar, they live in the trees and on the trunks of moss covered branches, which they probably eat as well. We give them diets of wood and leaves and veggies, but it is not what they consume there. The ttemps are widely varied there too and we most likely produce little of the temperature varient it takes to keep the internal organisims of the Pillbug alive and thriving.