Giant Coconut Crabs - availability?

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm looking for the Giant Coconut crabs typical of the Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Does anybody know of a source for obtaining these? Thanks.

Todd

Last edited:

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
coconut crab

this wouldn't help but, is that crab the one like a hermit crab with out a shell? the bluish one? this that are shown on the wild-boys episode?:?

because i lived in Philippines and that crab is quite common here specially in my grandpa's place, they used to catch one of those and sell it to the market for a higher price, they're really huge and can cut a finger if provoked.

but if not, just forget my reply:D

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Info and pic

I used to live in the Philippines. I used to see them there and on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. I knew of a British tourist that fell asleep on the beach there and woke up missing a thumb! :)

See info and pic at:

http://www.rananim.com/biganimals.php

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birgus_latro

"Coconut crab (Birgus latro)
Size: 50 cm from claw to claw.
The immense Coconut Crab (or Robber Crab) is the largest terrestrial arthropod on earth, (Grub 1971). They have been found to attain weights in excess of 5kg (Fletcher & Amos 1994) and can span over 50cm from claw to claw, (Reyne 1939). They are very powerful creatures and have vastly strong pincers. These ‘chelae’ can easily cut through an ordinary broom handle, (Johnson 1965).

Habitat/Behavior: This species is a type of land hermit crab with a spectacular appearance and intriguing biology. It is the largest terrestrial arthropod in the world and is able to grow to relatively gigantic proportions. Unlike most other hermit crabs, only the juveniles of this species find and use gastropod shells for protection as they develop. Adults have abandoned the shell-carrying habit, and instead have hardened shells over the abdomen. This protects the crab, reduces water loss and does not restrict its growth, allowing it to reach up to a metre in size. This huge crustacean is well adapted to life on land with long strong legs. It also has large muscular claws which are used for punching holes in coconuts and scooping out the flesh. This is a unique behaviour amongst crabs and explains why this species is called the coconut crab. The claws are in fact so powerful they can lift objects such as vegetation or rocks weighing up to 28 kg. Its stalked eyes are red, and this crab’s body colour varies between islands from purplish-blue to orange-red. Studies show that males are considerably larger than females."

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck Todd. If YOU don't know how to get them to the US, I think you're going to have a hard time. But I guess you never know. I've wanted to at least see a live one walking around for years now. Hard to imagine terrestrial arthro like that, even though I've seen TV shows with them on it.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You missed this part when copying the crabs info:

"The Coconut crab is a rare and endangered animal. Do not eat the crab as a delicacy in restaurants. (Common up to 2002) Various conservation projects have been started around the world to save this large and unique arthropod."

Directly below the description of the animal.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
not endangered

"According to the IUCN Red List criteria, there is not enough data to decide if the coconut crab is an endangered species, and therefore it is listed as DD (data deficient)."

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow i remember them being for sale down here in fla about 20yrs ago they were 200.00 dollars each this petshop(petcountry)used to have them,they got them from petfarm(no longer in bussiness) and a place called hogtown herps GAINSVILLE had them also,but that was it,after that never saw them availible ever. they are huge!! those suckers can pick you right up and give you a bodyslam{D i really hope they will come availible again,but i doubt it.:(

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big a setup would you need for one of those? It'd have to be like room sized, right?:confused:

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was born in Guam and have lived there twice. I remember as a child feeding them in the backyard....I too have searched for years without any luck finding them. They have to be some of the coolest crustations around!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I knew a greenhouse had other applications than keeping my orchids!!! Sounds like keeping them is one thing, and captive propogation may be another though....

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
after getting latched onto by a hermit crab last year that would not turn loose,
i dont think so!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I was born in Guam and have lived there twice. I remember as a child feeding them in the backyard....I too have searched for years without any luck finding them. They have to be some of the coolest crustations around!
If they are in Guam I am sure you can get some Navy guy to mail you one.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have fun paying for shipping, they'd have to put that thing in a crate through registered airport just like they do lions and wallabies {D

HawaiianDragon

Arachnopeon
My female coconut crab - I bought her from the one & only authorized seller in Indonesia; actually it's illegal to possess this species without permit & absolutely illegal to export them.

She's just a small ( or may be medium ) one.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I am so jealous right now.

I found some in the states a while back but the sellers wanted $1K ea and pick up only, so they wouldn't ship them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah,i remember15 years back they were avail.down here in fla.they were going for about $200 each :eek: these things were massive,i didn't have the room to house these beasts,then......never saw them avail.ever again,very cool crab.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you know for something that colorful and beautiful, I would expect them to be more available in the hobby.