Giant Caribbean Land Crab

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently saw a guy selling these at a reptile show I was at and was wondering if anyone keeps them / how they do as pets. He had them in a large tub and said all they need is soil, a large dish of fresh water to soak in, and varied fruits, vegetables and protein sources because they're mostly scavengers. This accurate? I was tempted but wanted to learn more about them before buying something big enough to squeeze my fingers off. They were HUGE. They legal to own in the states?

Eric

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you know of another common name for what you saw? Several large crabs are given that name, did you see the coconut crab, Birgus latro? Or was it some other kind of giant land crab more typical of the crabs most people are used to seeing?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
They are legal yes, (if they are Giant Blue Land Crabs) and require a lot of space. What he said was accurate, lots of fruits and veggies is very good for them. One big thing is they need a TON of space, and two waterdishes, one fresh, one salt.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those giant blue land crabs are in areas along the Texas Coast. I've seen dead ones along the south tex coast but never a live one, huge claws that arch.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you know of another common name for what you saw? Several large crabs are given that name, did you see the coconut crab, Birgus latro? Or was it some other kind of giant land crab more typical of the crabs most people are used to seeing?
Definitely not a coconut crab, I believe the species is Cardisoma guanhumi but they weren't as blue, more of a subtle blue / tan color.

They are legal yes, (if they are Giant Blue Land Crabs) and require a lot of space. What he said was accurate, lots of fruits and veggies is very good for them. One big thing is they need a TON of space, and two waterdishes, one fresh, one salt.
Interesting, do they live a long time in these conditions? Thanks for the info btw!

Those giant blue land crabs are in areas along the Texas Coast. I've seen dead ones along the south tex coast but never a live one, huge claws that arch.
Interesting, maybe the live ones are too elusive.

Eric

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Definitely not a coconut crab, I believe the species is Cardisoma guanhumi but they weren't as blue, more of a subtle blue / tan color.

Interesting, do they live a long time in these conditions? Thanks for the info btw!

Interesting, maybe the live ones are too elusive.

Eric
Some 20 to 30 years based on what I've heard. Never had the luck to keep them, very, very rare as pets.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
My friend bought one, this is his setup. You guys think I could get away with a similar setup or is it not well put together? (I'll let him know what you guys think)

Eric
Setup seems alright, I would just give it more substrate or a hide, and some more walking space.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
I would agree with the ID cardisoma guanhumi, though it would help if your friend could find exactly where they were imported from to be certain.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I have kept these and moon crabs and Cardisoma armatum and others easily 5-10 years, the longer times with immatures. Full-grown may not live more than a year or two.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Morph market has a listing for some gecarcinus ruricola, similar species