Giant burrowing roach substrate?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
At the moment i'm using soil mixed with sand but its drying to quick, what else can i use?

John

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mmm, i heard you should add some eucalyptus leaves to the substrate as the species lives in eucalypt forests in northern aussie, right? I guess that would give their burrows more structure and give them something to munch on at the same time (plus hold more humidity). Don't know about molding, though...:?

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I put water crystals (cricket water) into the dirt on one side of the enclosure. It keeps the soil mix nice and moist. When it starts to dry a bit, add more water and the crystals soak it up and keep it moist for a long time. Its worked great so far.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What kind of roach are you talking about? There are several giant burrowing roaches. The more readily available in the hobby is from Cuba. Do you have a scientific name or picture. Eucalyptus leaves will kill most roaches, even the Australian Rhino Roach, if it's not the right kind, be careful with that stuff. Sheeesssshhhh!

OldHags advice is good. You might also want to add a bit of well washed playground sand to the substrate to keep it from caking.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are the giant australians burrowers available in the pet trade???if the rhino roach is the biggest,are those available??

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Coco fiber is also something that I use for my Rhinos substrate as well as rotting oak wood. Both hold moisture well. The Rhinos also munch on the oak wood and I believe they also munch on the coco fiber. Basically my Rhino substrate is a mixture of coco fiber, playground sand, organic topsoil, rotting hardwood (oak), dried oakleaves, sphagnum moss and water crystals. Good luck.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think they are available. Send a pm to James, he would know if anyone would. I'll keep my eye out for you....

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I put water crystals (cricket water) into the dirt on one side of the enclosure. It keeps the soil mix nice and moist. When it starts to dry a bit, add more water and the crystals soak it up and keep it moist for a long time. Its worked great so far.
I do the same thing Michelle- I mix the water crystals into the soil on ONE end of the tank..keeping it moist and the other side dry...they choos the humidity levels they want. The rotten wood mixed in also helps to hold some humidity!

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
who sells these roaches?
I got my last 2 pairs from James (like other have suggested you contact). I believe Double D's has a reverse trio availiable (2 males and 1 adult female) for sale. Good luck- I love these things.

Graham