Giant African Millipedes - babies any help is great

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
Hi, new here. Got a GAM in Jan 2020. Got a girl as eventually I wanted to buy a male nd breed them, well cleaning out the old carrots Tuesday, I noticed white crawly things around her. First thought was the cage was infested with some other bug, but then at a closer look BABIES! Yes over 60+ baby millipede so far. Any one have these guys and can give me pointers? I have kept other types before but never had a pregnant one or any babies. TIA IMG_1696.JPG

schmiggle

Arachnoking
You're sure those are babies and not another species? Not saying that's what I think--I really don't know--but it might be worth considering, especially without a male present.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best thing you could do is box them up and ship them to me. That way you don't have to worry about them. Problem solved. Of course that will make my life hell, what with all the added work I will have to do, but I am willing to take that huge responsibility upon my shoulders if it means some other person's life is made easier. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Seriously though (its sad that I have to add that) congrats. Others will have the info you are seeking so I will not ad my 2 cents.

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
You're sure those are babies and not another species? Not saying that's what I think--I really don't know--but it might be worth considering, especially without a male present.
Not sure where they came from if a different species. Possible I bought a pregnant female

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The giant blues are smaller than gigas but still gigantic compared to most other species in the hobby. Only the adults are blue, the babies are usually tan then brown or army green. The progenitors of the photo attached were imported 2005. Ameliapede, sorry I didn't realize your message and this post were connected till I looked back at this thread.

Eating and growing...
In that carrot pic they almost look like albino Narceus. They should turn dark gray or brown at an inch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
I was informed today by my local reptile shop where I got Ameila, that she is in fact Not an GAM but an AGM....im confused but still happy with the amount of offspring, the guy at the store said he only has 4 babies

African Giant Millipedes Mardonius parilis acuticonus

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Could you get a clearer picture of the adult specimen? Looking at your photo provided is rather confusing, as AGBs (A. gigas) have brown banding on their bodies (it appears your specimen has them but it's hard to tell) with brown banded legs, though your specimen has straight black legs as far as I can tell (which is a common attribute of S. fischeri).

Mardonius parilis acuticonus was reclassified as Spiropoeus fischeri, and as such is no longer a valid name.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I see. Yes, definitely Spiropoeus fischeri, which makes sense considering you got babies without doing anything special (A. gigas is more difficult to get young from). The water droplets in the first photo must have given me a false impression of brown striping or something.

I am indeed, ha ha. Why do you ask?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Spiropoeus fischeri are not bigger than the giant blues but still a very nice species. The satiny black areas of the exoskeleton are nice.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Do your Acladocricus actually make it to 7" or so? That's fairly impressive, especially if it's an old line (I know some of the new lines can get pretty big).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Ameliapede

Arachnopeon
Still finding new babies every couple weeks. Measured one lil guy crawling on top at 3/4".