Giant African Millipede from America living with other millipedes?

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
I know it's best to have millipedes from the same continent if you are going to house some together. My question is... I have a juvenile G.A.Millipede but it was bred in the US from captive born millipedes............does that mean I still should look for African millipedes or can I look for American?

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Most millipedes (I say most, considering there has to be at least ONE or a few species that aren't compatible in the world) can be housed together.

For example, I have Bumblebees and Scarlets housed together - both from completely opposite sides of the world, but have the same care requirements.

Considering your millipede is captive bred, you should have little risk of keeping different species together as long as their care is similar.

Hope that helps,
Dagan H.

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
By the way, I'm assuming your millipede came in healthy and alive! Congrats on the awesome purchase :)

Dagan H.

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
By the way, I'm assuming your millipede came in healthy and alive! Congrats on the awesome purchase :)

Dagan H.
Thank you!
Yes it did! I named her Fern and am assuming she's a girl. They weren't sure of exact birthdate and gender because she's still little! She is underground all the time so I miss her and thought of maybe getting a friend. (Who will probably also live underground too haha)

BugLord

Arthropod Rancher
Thank you!
Yes it did! I named her Fern and am assuming she's a girl. They weren't sure of exact birthdate and gender because she's still little! She is underground all the time so I miss her and thought of maybe getting a friend. (Who will probably also live underground too haha)
You could always find a Mr. Fern for her and then in a couple of years you could send some babies my way hehehe... (;

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the care requirements for that species, but most captive millipedes can live together if they have similar care needs. Happy hunting lol.

Dagan H

heldipede

Arachnopeon
I think you should be able to find Fern a friend and house them together. I don't like to house mine together because I'm a librarian by trade and things need to have their own tidy spaces, but plenty of hobbyists do keep multiple species together. As long as you aren't housing arid/cool temp species with wet/warm temp species, you should be fine.

I also just want to say that Fern is a VERY GOOD NAME.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
So long as you can meet both of their care requirements adequately in the same enclosure they can be kept together without issue.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
I think you should be able to find Fern a friend and house them together. I don't like to house mine together because I'm a librarian by trade and things need to have their own tidy spaces, but plenty of hobbyists do keep multiple species together. As long as you aren't housing arid/cool temp species with wet/warm temp species, you should be fine.

I also just want to say that Fern is a VERY GOOD NAME.
Thank you!!!! I'm glad you get and appreciate the name!

Indiglowoods

Arachnopeon
So long as you can meet both of their care requirements adequately in the same enclosure they can be kept together without issue.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks. I adopted two purple ivory millipedes to be Fern's roommates! I can't wait for them to arrive. I also got a camera so I can watch what they're doing from my phone! I saw sweet Fern eating a strawberry last night. p.jpg