Ghost Mantis Communal?

Braden

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone. I recently bought myself a male and a female ghost mantis both L5. I was wondering if anybody has any experience keeping this species together as I am hesitant.
Also, what are some good plants to keep with these guys as I want to go bioactive? :D
Thanks!

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Here's something I found... Hope this helps:

Group housing of Ghost Mantises

The special “feature” of this species of mantis is that multiple animals can be kept in one enclosure without cannibalism. Other species will attack and eat each other, even it there is plenty of food. The Ghost mantis is often quiet and non-aggressive, also to other Ghost mantids. Of course the mantis does need plenty of space and enough prey items such as flies, because when food is running low these mantids will also turn on each other. The individuals also need to be of the same instar, you cannot combine animals that differ too much in size. Keeping a large group of Ghost mantids in a big enclosure can be a beautiful sight. Keep in mind: the risk of cannibalism is very small, but the risk still exists.

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
I have not personally kept Ghost mantids together, but I know it can be done. When I first started out I was told heterochaeta orientalis could successfully be kept together in the same fashion, so I put two of the same size in together and fed them well, but one still ended up eating the other. I felt horrible, and now hesitate to keep any mantids together after that awful experience. So I would recommend watching their behavior closely if you're going to try this.

As for plants, it depends if you're going to add a light above their enclosure or not. Either way, they would need to be pretty arid. Can't go wrong with air plant varieties! They'll enjoy the misting you occasionally give to your mantids

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I never would recommend any communal enclosures in mantids. It’s the same with tarantulas. They won’t hesitate to eat one another. Just don’t do it, it’s risking the animals’ lives.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Ok, so the ghost's I have are L7, so one more molt to becoming an adult. They are male and female so I was thinking of breeding. How soon can I put them together after maturing and should/can I keep them together for this purpose?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Ok, so the ghost's I have are L7, so one more molt to becoming an adult. They are male and female so I was thinking of breeding. How soon can I put them together after maturing and should/can I keep them together for this purpose?
Keep them together while the male is mounted on the female in something like a mesh cube, then once the male disconnects abdomens separate them to avoid cannibalism. Adult females, especially gravid ones, are absolutely ravenous. She will eat him if you keep them together as adults.